12 - Aftermath

The next day, something unbelievable happens. Like, what ends up becoming of your outburst is the last outcome you could've possibly imagined.

Mandy Rose was just released from the WWE.

See, this is the last thing you wanted. Even with what she did to you, you still care about her. You don't make plans to propose to a woman and suddenly stop caring about her, no matter what happens. It just doesn't work like that.

This is karma for her, but you never wanted anyone to get fired... kinda the whole reason you stayed quiet.

Despite what your conscience is telling you, you're going to go see her. You need answers and probably to apologize. What happened with Lexi could have possibly been a horrible accident. You were so anxious watching them go into that match that you might have seen it wrong.

[A FEW HOURS LATER]

You arrive at Amanda's place and knock loudly on the door. Ashley told you where she's been staying: at a friend's penthouse an hour away.

She answers the door with an exhausted look on her face. It seems clear to her that you won't leave easily, so she just steps asides and lets you inside. She doesn't even have a snarky comment to fire at you.

"What do you want, Y/N?" she asks, her voice as tired as her expression. If you weren't pissed at her, you would give her a hug.

"Answers. Why did they fire you?" you ask quietly, looking into her eyes. The fire that caught your attention when you first met her is gone. All that remains is emptiness.

"They didn't fire me; I quit."

"What, why?"

"It was you or me, and I didn't think I could win," Amanda admits, looking you dead in the eye, "Besides, why would they let me on TV after I hurt Lexi?"

"I never wanted any of this. It's just..."

"Yeah, I know. I didn't give you much of a choice. Y/N, I was so angry at myself that I took it out on everyone I cared about."

"I wasn't going to say anything, but then Lexi got hurt," the image of seeing her lying at ringside near lifeless pops into your mind. Then the later realization that she wouldn't be getting that title push.

Maybe wrestling is "fake", but Lexi worked so fucking hard to earn that opportunity. To see it thrown away must have crushed her heart.

"Y/N, it was an accident. I wasn't as careful as I should've been," Amanda says in an almost pleading tone, like she's trying to convince you.

"You fucked up big time. She never thought she'd get another shot, and you ruined it. Accident or not, that shit is wack," you say calmly, trying not to get angry.

"How is she?"

"Doing better. She says her headaches are finally going away."

"Are you two...?" she asks curiously. It's almost like things are back to normal, when Amanda was eager to know everything about everyone's relationships.

Not much point in lying, so, "As of a couple days ago, yeah."

"Congrats." The room was still and silent for a few moments, then Amanda blurts, "Why don't you hate me?"

"Dunno. Just not that kind of guy, I guess."

"But I did all that stuff to you."

"Yeah, you did some pretty fucked up shit," you mumble, more to yourself than her. You look her in the eye and continue, "I still cared, Amanda. I knew I couldn't take you back, but I still fucking cared. That's why I stayed quiet. For YOU."

"I didn't realize things were so bad until it was too late. I really am sorry, Y/N," she replies quietly, her eyes full of tears. What feels like a lifetime ago, this would have broken you inside. Not anymore.

"There are some things that sorry can't fix. I'll see you around, Mandy."

She simply watches as you walk out of her apartment. The things said during that conversation were things that both of you needed to get off your chest. Still, one tiny detail still makes your heart ache just a little.

The wedding ring. The beautiful piece of jewelry that took you a month to have created... for her. The ring itself isn't that important to you; things are just things.

Amanda asked why you don't hate her, and your honest answer is this: you loved her enough to go through the trouble of making that ring. You loved her enough to plan an entire "injury" to spend time with her. You loved her enough to nearly propose.

A person doesn't experience that level of dedication and stop loving their partner, no matter what happens.

Your phone begins to ring.