8 - Not Meant to Be

You wake up next to CJ, who is still fast asleep. Details from last night flood into your mind as you remember all the things you did with her. Damn, she knows how to party.

The act of sitting up wakes CJ, who looks at you groggily and smiles.

"You look like you slept well," you joke, smiling a little yourself.

"How could I after you nearly blew my back out?" She pulls you back down into the bed and kisses you, which you don't hesitate to return. Continuing what happened last night doesn't sound like a bad time.

"It's your own fault. Shouldn't have teased me like you did," you say, kissing her neck. There's a hickey or two from last night, but nothing that makeup can't fix.

Just when it seems like things might go further, CJ rolls out of bed and heads into the bathroom. You check your phone and find a missed call from Colby. Huh, well you'll make sure to call him back later. Right now, your main concern is gathering some clothes to wear.

You can hear the water running in the bathroom, so you enter and begin your morning routine. CJ doesn't mind that you're in there while she showers, but after last night, how can she mind?

[ONE HOUR LATER]

"About last night..." CJ begins as the two of you eat breakfast. She seems very unsure of what she should say.

"It was great, but..." you reply, also struggling to find words. It was strictly heat of the moment, but it still feels like it was special.

"Exactly. It was great, but it's not a good idea to keep going. Neither of us are in a great position for a relationship right now."

"Wait, that's not what I meant. I don't want to leave it at a one night stand."

"Y/N, you're a great guy. You deserve better than me."

"But..."

"We'll always have last night. I want you to remember me like that."

You nod defeatedly. The rest of breakfast is silent, and afterwards you say your goodbyes and go your separate ways.

Last night is not how you want to remember being with her. You'd rather look back at something romantic and smile at it. The idea of CJ on her back and moaning your name seems like something you'd beat off to.

Then again, breaking things off before getting attached is probably for the best. CJ Perry is without a doubt a 10/10 and a good person, but the timing is just bad. It would have never worked. Besides, you aren't ready for something like that so soon. Amanda hurt you more than you realized. Only now, a week and a half later, is it beginning to surface.

What a fucking depressing morning, eh? It's not over yet, either; you still have a workout to do, and you probably need to call Colby back as well.

...

Today's workout was very effective and had no interruptions... perfect. So much alone time to think about how you screwed things up with CJ. Surely it was that you took things too fast with her, right? No, it couldn't be that; she was the one who took things there. In reality, it's probably what you thought from the beginning: CJ Perry is not a romantic.

She's a high roller. All she knows is sex, alcohol, drugs, and expensive things. For a brief moment, it had seemed like she wanted you more than that stuff, but people rarely change. You won't hold it against her, but you felt a connection during that first kiss. Maybe some guy will be able to change her for the better, but you're not that guy.

In the end, life goes on.

"Sorry it took so long to call back. What's up, man?" you say in a friendly tone as Colby picks up the phone. You can hear another voice on the other end, and they sound Irish. He must be with Rebecca.

"Oh! Uh, Becky and I were gonna go to the bar tonight and we  were wondering if you wanted to join us," he replies cheerfully.

"Yeah, I'll tag along." After this morning, a night at the bar is just what you need. What could possibly be better than drinking and ignoring all of your problems?

"Great! See you at say... 9:30?"

"Works for me. Cya then, Colby."

[LATER THAT NIGHT]

You hop into the car with Colby and Rebecca, and the three of you begin the drive to the bar. Colby tells you that Joe was going to come along, but he got asked last-minute to do an interview.

When you arrive at the bar, you can see just how packed it is. Jesus, the only time you've seen one worse than this was when a bunch of your wrestler friends got drunk and streamed on Instagram. They ended up getting the place shut down for the night.

However, you have no such weaknesses. You walk in and are surprised see a familiar face: Alexis Kaufman. She's grabbing drinks from the bar, but she points to a booth where Mercedes Varnado (Sasha Banks) is sitting. The other two head over, but you hang back with Alexis.

"Didn't expect to see you here," you say casually, ordering drinks for you and your own company. Alexis looks good tonight, dressed in ripped skinny jeans and a tight white t-shirt, topped off with a brown leather jacket. All you wore was baggy sweats and a pullover hoodie.

"I could say the same about you," she retorts playfully as the two of you make you head off to join your friends. The married couple and Mercedes are all sitting comfortably and talking, almost like they forgot you two were there. Alexis sits down and you slide in next to her.

"So Y/N, I hear you've had an exciting few weeks," Mercedes says bluntly, getting right to the point. You appreciate that, but at the same time... ouch.

"Yeah, it's been hectic. I had to work really hard to get back in shape on such short notice," you reply honestly. You'd rather not talk about the breakup, and she seems to understand.

"Shit, I would've never known you left," Colby says, raising his glass. Everyone at the table follows suit, and you each down your drinks afterwards. Tonight should be fun.