13 - Where From Here

Your phone begins to ring. It's Rebecca who's calling, which normally isn't good. It's usually Colby who calls or texts you, and Becky does it in emergencies. Hopefully that isn't the case right now.

"What's up?" you ask casually as you begin the drive back to your house.

"Got some bad news, Y/N," she replies, her voice full of concern. Bad news is... bad.

"How bad?" The way she's talking makes it sound like something is really fucked up. That would be bad, because generally things are supposed to be not fucked up.

"Colby got hurt. The feckin' idiot broke his leg," Rebecca replies, sounding annoyed. How inconvenient that Colby broke his leg, right?

"So...what am I gonna do?" Seth Rollins is your rival, so without him you don't have anything to do. The fans would be pissed that such an over superstar would be shelved.

"I dunno. I t'ink ya might just move on to Joe."

"Thanks for letting me know, Becky. I'll talk to you guys soon."

"Bye, Y/N."

So that makes things very difficult. Trying to build up a rivalry with Roman Reigns from the ashes of a failed one with Seth Rollins is gonna be hell... but hey, if anyone can pull it off, it's you. Remember, you returned to a crowd that wanted nothing to do to you, then managed to turn them on your side. It was you who survived endless torment from your ex-girlfriend, then showed her up when it mattered most. In the end, it's you who will live happily ever after.

[A FEW DAYS LATER]

Monday rolls around, and you're confident that you can salvage your push. While waiting for the show to start, you're hanging out with Lexi by catering.

"I can't believe you're getting a title this early," she says kind of dreamily. You almost forgot what she lost when she took that fall. Your motivation for all of this... it's her. Lexi got you back into wrestling and kept you going, so you'll take it right to Roman Reigns and bring home gold for her.

"Tonight is only the beginning. Once I've got that belt, I'ma make sure you get one too," you reply, not even bothering to think about all the obstacles in your way. As long as you've got Lexi cheering you on, what do they matter?

Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed a trio approaching. In front is Joe, limply carrying his World Title, and Colby and Becky follow behind him. Colby is walking with crutches, and he looks pissed. Not necessarily at you, but at the broken leg.

"You ready for tonight, Y/N?" he asks, offering a hand out. You take in and you share a shoulder bump. Becky and Lexi wander off to go do their thing, and you stare after Lexi dreamily. Joe chuckles and slugs you playfully.

"You caught a good one there," Joe says as he walks towards the gorilla. Your segment will be starting soon.

"That's what I thought about Amanda, though." Despite all the bad that ended up happening, you really thought she was the one. Sure she has her flaws, but she's capable of so much more. It's a pity she sank as low as she did when it ended.

"They can't all work out, man," Colby replies. He sounds like he's trying his hardest to sound smart, "Make sure this one does, because you won't find another girl like her that wants you like she does."

"Huh?" you ask, confused. What he said makes sense, but at the same time it doesn't. Obviously she likes you, but is she really that crazy about you?

"What, you didn't know? Lexi has had a huge crush on you for like a year now, but stayed away because she respected who she thought Amanda was."

"She told you this?" you ask, an eyebrow raised. No way would Lexi ever open up to Colby about that kind of thing. That's a thing that normally only best friends talk about, and they are definitely not that.

"Nah, she told Becky. I just eavesdropped," he admits with a laugh. Callback to when he eavesdropped on your conversation with Lexi in the locker room?

"Yeah, you seem to be great at that."

"Whatever, just go do your segment." Just when he pronounces the 't' in segment, your theme begins to play. You simply shrug and run off, tearing through the gorilla and through the curtain into the waiting arena.

...

As always, the crowd goes ballistic at the sight of Y/RN. They cheer his name as he walks down the ramp, but the men in the ring don't look too happy about it. Roman Reigns stands front and center looking angrily at Y/RN, but Paul Heyman stands behind him with a microphone in hand.

"What are you doing out here?" Paul asks, saying what everyone is thinking. The news about Seth's injury only came out earlier today, so not everyone knows that Y/RN has no rival. They must find it confusing that a guy already in a rivalry is picking fights with other guys.

"I came to say hello, of course! Now that Seth is injured, I'm out of a rival," Y/RN says, rolling into the ring and standing to face with Roman, "and I heard you need an opponent for SummerSlam. Is that right?"

"What makes you think that the Tribal Chief would ever face a lowlife like you?" Paul says in amusement, despite looking at Y/RN in utter disgust. He's making it very clear that the hot shot is in way over his head.

"Do you remember when you won the Universal Title from Brock, and you claimed you were a fighting champion?" Y/RN is speaking directly to Roman now, who looks ready to fight. His advocate goes to speak, but gets stopped mid-sentence.

At this point, Roman takes the mic from Heyman and replies, "Yeah, I remember. And I still am, too."

"Good, then you'll fight me tonight. If I win, I'm your opponent for SummerSlam."

"Fine," Roman says aggressively, looking Y/RN right in the eye, "I needed a light workout today anyways."

The match becomes official and the bell is rung. Before the actual fight begins, Roman takes off his shirt and hands it to the referee. While the official's back is turned, Y/RN runs forward and does a Superman Punch, but something is odd about it. Roman falls hard, and for a split second the crowd can see Y/RN toss something away... he's playing dirty!

Y/RN then hits his finisher on his injured opponent, watching a stunned Paul Heyman scream to the official about foul play. The finisher lands, and he goes for the cover... 

1... 

2... 

3!!!

However the means, Y/RN just won a title opportunity at SummerSlam! Sure, that loaded punch was cheap, but how often does Roman have to rely on Jey Uso to help him win a match? It's simply karma in due time.

Y/RN grabs a microphone and says, "You may not like it, but you're looking at the next WWE Champion!"