Chapter 13 : Hands Down

"You're so innocent, smart and untainted...that's what I like about you."

Haku mustered a smile. "I am after all, still a child."

His attention then went to Zabuza's injuries that had barely recovered. "Will you be alright the next time?"

Two ninja teams from Konoha working together with Kiri hunter-nin, the situation did not look great to him. However, as he expected Zabuza steely gaze showed his determination.

"The next time, I will see right through his sharingan."

Zabuza was still tired and was about to go to sleep when he saw the door open.

"Unbelievable. Even you got beaten and had to come back? The ninja from Kirigakure looks like a total weakling."

Haku turned around to see a man with shaggy brown hair and brown eyes covered by small, circular black glasses. He wore a black suit with a pale yellow shirt and purple tie.

Gato.

With no family name, Gato was the sole owner of the Gato Company, a shipping company that acted as a front for his illegal smuggling and drug dealing activities. The one who hired Zabuza to guard against strong powers like Hidden Ninja Villages.

A corrupt businessman who was extremely cruel and greedy, willing to break contracts and kill people for the slightest bit of profit.

"You can't even clean up after your subordinate and you think you're a demon? Don't make me laugh!"

Unable to bear his insults against Zabuza, Haku stood up to close the door on their face when Zori and Waraji, Gato's bodyguards stepped in front of him, hands on their swords.

"Hold on, wait. There is no need to stay silent, why don't you say something? I heard you talking with this brat just fine." Gato sneered as he walked to Zabuza's bed. "Let me remove that mask covering your mouth-"

But before Gato could so much as come close to the bandage covering Zabuza's mouth, he felt a pincer grip on his wrist.

"DON't TOUCH ZABUZA WITH YOUR DIRTY HANDS!" Haku bellowed in anger.

"I-It's going to break!" Gato panicked.

Zori and Waraji quickly unsheathed their swords and were about to slice Haku when the latter disappeared and appeared behind them, two swords pointing at their necks. All traces of beauty gone from his face as he glared at them.

"Hmph! Just remember that if you lose next time, there will be no place for you here!" Gato walked away angry.

Zabuza relaxed the kunai he had ready for if Gato really did remove the mask. "Such unnecessary actions."

"I know." Haku sighed. "But I wanted to do it."

"It's too early to take down Gato now."

"I know. If we make trouble here, we will be pursued by them again." Haku smiled to cover the sadness he felt. "We must restrain ourselves for now."

* * * * *

"Hayate-sensei, Kakashi-sensei, can I have a word with you?"

The first thing Aira did in the morning was confront Hatake Kakashi and Gekko Hayate. There was no way that the over-cautious Aira was going to go with the flow in such a complicated situation.

Sakura looked in surprise when she saw this domineering side of Aira, there seemed to be no scope to refusal. Hands and legs crossed, she seemed to give the impression 'if there is anything to say, say it now'.