Chapter 25 : The thousand cherry blossoms

(A/N : Senbonzakura by Hatsune Miku happens to be one of my most favorite songs ;)  

As for the presence of Oda Nobunaga in the story...in my story, apart from the fact from the fact that there are shinobis in the village, the world has the typical administration system of pre-revolution era of Japan.)

Gaara P.O.V

Right now, as I stood beside Aira and Kakeru at the Wind Daimyo's mansion, all of her plan made sense. The disguise was not to sneak into 'Land of Wind' but rather to sneak into the Daimyo's mansion without having to reveal our identity as Sunagakure's representatives.

So that is why Aira made sure that I had all the information that might be required. It would waste all our efforts if I, the substitute Kazekage was unable to answer the questions. But...why did she bring Kakeru alongside with us?

Kakeru was someone who stuck with Aira all the time. She had picked him up from one of the surrounding villagers but he was apparently a genius who became chuunin level within a span of three months. It seemed that he had an unknown background but his loyalty to Aira couldn't be questioned at all. I realized it from this journey. Aira had brought him out of nothingness and gave him a future. There was no way he would ever betray her.

But...his loyalty towards Aira was equally marked by his 'disguised' hatred towards me. It was not because I was a jinchuriki. Kakeru firmly maintained that the only reason I was able to stand beside 'Aira-sama' was because I was luckily born in the Kazekage clan. Well...I wonder if he has any romantic feelings towards her. If that's so, then he need not worry. Aira might be a fiance of mine...but that was just a temporary arrangement to facilitate me becoming a Kazekage. Once that role is fulfilled, the marriage contract will be annulled too.

Aira: Splendid...

Gaara: Huh?

Aira's eyes lit up when she saw the guest seated beside the Wind Daimyo. If I remember correctly, he is the ambassador from the Land of Iron. Was she planning to compel the Daimyo to rely more on Sunagakure and not on samurais and Konohagakure?

But...why was her eyes lit up with enthusiasm?

Aira: Splendid...Splendid...Absolutely splendid! I can't even describe how splendid this is!

Her voice was low, yet it was more that evident how extremely pleased she was. Kakeru bit his lip lightly, unable to understand why Aira was so happy.

Aira: Um...Gaara, Kakeru...surely you both read my scroll completely right?

We nodded. The man was Oda Nobunaga. Among Samurais, bloodline is an important factor and yet, Nobunaga rose to such a high position despite having no background whatsoever. No one knew of his origins but his ability to sway people was legendary.

Don't tell me...we arrived at the root cause of the problem! He's the one who persuaded the Daimyo to request for the services of samurai rather than Suna shinobi!

There were many other important figures and dignitaries in the room. Aira stepped out of the room for a moment. Her face was pale and her fingers were trembling slightly. Ah...anyone would be tensed about performing in front of a huge crowd. Kakeru gave her some mild sake to drink. The color came back to her face and she sighed slightly.

Aira: Ah...sorry...just that I am not a performer and-

I held her hand firmly. I could almost hear her heart beating out of her chest. She jumped as if she had been stuck by lightning but then she calmed down and rested her head on my shoulder for a while. It reminded me about the time when she had leaned against me during the chuunin exam finals.

Aira: I'm fine now. Nobunaga is known for his interests in fine arts. I'll give him a worthy performance.

With that I watched as she walked out of the room. She was soon dressed into a formal shirabyoshi attire. Her long silvery white hair was tied behind in a low ponytail and her hair was adorned with a cherry blossom. Ah...because her song is called Senbonzakura( thousand cherry blossoms).

'After a bold and westernized revolution,

it is now an open and upright anti-war nation,

As I move forward in my cycle marked with the japanese flag,

evil spirits will be dispersed by my bullets.

Looping the belt line,

I don't care if I'm constantly on the move,

Boys and girls must remain unrivaled,

during the warring era

Thousands of cherry blossoms dissolve into the night,

the sound of mourning goes unheard

This is a banquet within a steel jail

Look down on us from your guillotine

The whole world is surrounded in hellish darkness,

Not even a lamenting song is audible

With your gun,

shoot out to the azure sky 

and the farther away!

.

.

No way...Aira wasn't nervous because she was performing. It was because she was performing a song related to wars, guillotine and death in front of a Daimyo! But...why do I get the feeling that she put more emphasis on the word 'gun' than required?

Well her voice was beautiful as ever, the accompanying sound was enchanting so the audience applauded her for an eerily beautiful performance.

The Daimyo went back to talking with the dignitaries while the samurai representative seemed to be surprised by her performance.

Daimyo: Was the performance to your liking, Nobunaga-sama?

Wait...the ambassador was being treated above the Daimyo! What was going on? Looking at Aira's face, I could see that she had anticipated this outcome.

Nobunaga: It was quite...illuminating. It was an honor to be able to witness the finesse of the celebrated performer, Aira. The lady is indeed a beautiful flower. A flower that bewitches the hearts of those who gaze upon it. Would the lady be pleased to accept the title of 'Ouka' ?

Ouka? As in cherry blossom? Nobunaga was powerful enough to go around giving titles? Wait...what did he mean by 'illuminating'? Did Aira manage to convey something to Nobunaga without letting the others know?

Aira: Why it would be a honor. Anyone would be a fool to not accept such a splendid title. Everyone must know that 'Nobunaga pounds the national rice cake, Hideyoshi kneads it and Ieyasu sits down and eats it'.

Nobunaga's expression widened but it was quickly replaced with a knowing smirk. The other dignitaries clearly had no idea about what Aira had meant...Kakeru and I didn't understand it either.

Nobunaga: Splendid! Not just a beauty, our 'Ouka' seems to have a way with words as well! Munenori(the Daimyo), would you be considerate enough to let this flower pour me sake this evening? I wouldn't want to miss a chance to talk with her.

The Daimyo seemed eager to please him and thus readily accepted the offer. Aira changed out of her outfit and prepared to meet Oda Nobunaga. Meanwhile I and Kakeru were going to meet Sumimura Munemori, the Daimyo of the Land of wind.

This was the chance we had waited a month for...

For the sake of Sunagakure...we couldn't afford to lose this chance.