Chapter 31 : Beneath the waves

Aira P.O.V

Aira: It's definitely this place right?

Kakeru: Of course it. You can count on me. I'll never betray you.

Betray? How did he even get started on this topic? I knew that Atsushi Kakeru would never betray me. I could see it in his eyes. If only Gaara would do the same...

Nah, guess he won't be Gaara if he did.

Aira: I'm counting on you.

I watched the water with apprehension. Kakeru formed specific hand signs. The moment he pressed his palm to the water, it followed his hand moments. He looked like a conductor as the water moved to follow his every whim. 

Soon a ball of water covered my head. Within that ball, however, was air. I slipped into the water. The chilly water stabbed at my skin like needles. But soon enough, I was able to get accustomed to it.I submerged my head into the water and found that the water bubble was working just fine. 

Aira: Kakeru, suppress your chakra and hide somewhere close. For how long will you be able to maintain the water bubble?

Kakeru: For three hours max. 

Aira: Even with the battle pills?

Kakeru: With the battle pills I should be able to go on for 5 hours...any more than that, I could end up putting your life at risk.

5 hours eh? The time available wasn't enough to cover the entire lake...especially not when it seem to stretch on for as far as I could see. 

.

.

.

Isobu...where could he be? No matter how much I couldn't find it. I'd been trying for three days. Swimming for five hours, coming back to the ground for a break of 2 hours and then trying again. My legs felt like jelly and walking itself was hard on me. As much as I didn't want to do something so inhumane, I wanted Yuukimaru with me now...he'd at least be able to lure Isobu.

Ok...I admit I got too cocky owing to my recent success. It was foolish of me to think that I'd be able to get to Isobu by just scouring the water. It must be hiding itself. But...I didn't want to give up...

.

.

.

Kakeru: A-Aira-sama...are you sure you are going to try again? We've been trying for a month already. Even if those battle pills are specifically made by Chiyo obaa-sama for you, it's still going to have terrible after effects on your body...

Aira: Maybe so...but I need to do this no matter the cost. I seem to have gotten a hang of it...it almost feels like I can sense the three-tails's chakra...nowadays it's almost like I am playing tag with it...

Kakeru looked concerned...extremely so...in fact even I was slightly scared when I saw myself in the mirror. Thin, pale, sunken eyes, lank hair and taunt lips. I looked worse than when I used to lock myself away into research.

I lowered myself into the water and tried to feel Isobu's chakra. I was definitely getting better at it. My eyes were even getting accustomed to looking under the water. Finally after four hours, I caught a glimpse of what I'd been searching for all this time.

A giant turtle large enough to carry a small town over it's back. The three-tailed beast, Isobu.

Wait!

It seemed to caught on to my presence and tried to back away but luckily it was so huge that I could follow it with my eyes. Excitement blurred the screams of my limbs and I chased after it. I chakra powered my legs and willed myself to go faster.