Chapter 7 : First impressions matter

"Good morning everyone. I have an important announcement." Hayate said as held out some papers .

With a blurry vision, Aira could barely focus on the sheet. Literally tottering back to her spot, she sat down staring blankly at the sheet. Ever since she came back from the Land of Waves, she had a dull headache that wouldn't leave.

But when her vision cleared up and she saw the content, Aira let out a scream.

Aira: T-This...this is the Chuunin exams!

The rest of team Hayate seemed surprised at her shock. Chuunin exams were important but did it warrant such an extreme reaction? Her expression looked positively panicked.

'The chuunin exam is followed by Konoha invasion!'

Hayate and Raijin were talking to her, but not a single word registered in her mind. Time...Trust...Planning...where was she ready at all? Should she just turn a blind eye to the entire situation?

"...Aira...on 24th June...focus...Aira!"

Aira: U-Uh...yes?

"Focus already. For chuunin exams, you can only apply as a three-member team. Do you want to participate or not?" Hayate asked in exasperation.

Aira: Of course I want to participate.

How could she drop-out? Given her mission, that is the last thing she could do!

"But are you ready for it? For what I hear, you didn't fare so well against Neji and Lee the other day." Akira pointed out. "And you barely have actual combat experience" Raijin added.

Aira: That is true. But I don't necessarily need to win the final match to be promoted to Chuunin right? I just need to show that I have the talent and potential.

The chuunin exam is held for promoting genin to chuunin. The challenges vary every year but what Aira noticed from past records was that being the final victor didn't guarantee your promotion. Nor did failure mean your chances of being promoted are forfeited. What matters is that the proctors think you are chuunin standard.

The battles...are just power play between villages.

"So that is to say that you are confident about facing about 150 ninjas to prove your worth?"

Aira: E-Eh...what!

The anime just focused on the main match so she didn't realize it. But...even without considering how powerful the canon characters are, the exams are still very hard!

It didn't help that Hayate finally noticed that Aira's body wasn't keeping up and she was feverish. Even if she signs her confirmation for the paper, if found later, would be considered invalid. Despite her interest in the exams, Aira was forced to go back home and take leave for a few days.

Unnoticed by her, Hayate had a rueful expression. As someone from a non-ninja family and someone without years of training, it was obvious that Aira's body wouldn't be able to cope up with such intense training. Trying to cram up too much within a short period was never a good thing.

But with his desperation and her intense passion, he had thrown caution to the winds.

"That is Aira? The girl you have been treating to meals, ignoring all my date requests?" Uzuki Yugao asked coyly, leaning lightly against Hayate.

"You have nothing to be jealous of against a child. You are the first and last student I will fall for. But I am worried about Ryuugamine Aira. Geniuses..." Hayate trailed off as he was hugged by Yugao.

She was not in her ANBU uniform, but he knew it was not a good idea for a member of ANBU to show affections in the open. Love was a huge weakness after all.