Chapter 14 : Bluffs and Illusions

"Haku-san, we both have things we need to do. So let's settle things - here and now." Aira said confidently.

She felt the same level of pressure as seeing a murderer closing in, in a closed corridor with a knife in one hand.

"That yellow-haired boy still shows hope, untainted by the world, but you..." Haku said to Aira " You are someone who knows how to step on someone's misfortune."

Aira smiled bitterly.

She knew that. To save herself, she hid in her room, pretending not to hear the cries of those who were being squeezed dry of their possessions mostly by brute force, being beaten to an inch of their life. Saving those in front of her behind the mafia's back, was her way of atoning for not doing anything.

"I shall show you my true speed." Haku said.

"Akira! They are not clones! They are afterimages!" Aira shouted. But just as soon as the words left her, she felt a prick of pain in her chest.

'A-Ah...Those who reveal divine knowledge shall incur the wrath of the heavens.' But this little a pain was an extremely cheap price forsaving her's and Akira's lives.

Akira, who had been searching for the real Haku amongst clones immediately braced for attack. As Haku released his 'Thousand Flying Water Needles of Death', Akira dissolved his water blades. The water blade turned back into water and covered his entire body like a thin, transparent armor.

"Wind impact!" Aira released her wind jutsu.

The jutsu created a gust of wind that swept the water needles away. But the second her jutsu ended, multiple pricks rained down on her hand, peppering her hand with red drops of blood.

"Tsk..." Aira groaned as she clutched her arm. "Is this your way of getting even? Hand for a hand?"

It was painless in a bad way. She felt a sharp pain for a second and then she couldn't feel her hand nor move it.

"Aira!"

Taking a pill, she popped it in. Accompanied by a terribly uncomfortable feeling as if ants were gnawing at her hand, Aira recovered her movement.

"I-I'm fine." Aira said. "I came prepared. Stick to the plan."

* * * * *

On the other side, Kakashi and Sasuke fought against Zabuza while Sakura took Tazuna back to Team Hayate. She was shocked to see Haku's Ice mirrors cage. With a quick scan, she realized that Aira and Akira must be inside.

"Hayate-sensei! What's happening inside?" Sakura asked.

"Akira and Aira are trapped inside, fighting Haku." Hayate replied. "How is your team doing?"

Sakura mustered a confident smile. "Sasuke-kun has grown a lot. With him, Kakashi-sensei has the upper hand against Zabuza."

"That's great." Hayate smiled bitterly.

Looking at Gekko Hayate's expression, Raijin and Sakura realized that Aira was right. It was unusual that Gekko Hayate did not charge forward to protect Aira - he was weakened against Ice-style.

"Sensei, it is okay to take a break." Raijin held Hayate's hand. "We are grown-ups, we can protect our newcomer. This is a trial to test our mettle."

Raijin was surprised at Aira's meticulousness. Her supposed Plan B was even more detailed than Plan A, as if she expected the former to fail. 

'I know this sounds morbid but I think neither Kakashi-sensei nor Hayate-sensei are in a position to move and with the surveillance of the Kiri hunter-nin, they are likely unable to ask the village for help. If our instructors are unable to move, then we need to continue onward and make full use of the divide-and-conquer. '