Chapter 31: Anger Issues

(Shinnokal-El seems pleased at everyone beating each other unconscious.)

Shinnokal-El: Yes...

(He flies off toward the large palace in the distance. Azula observes him taking flight.)

Azula: Shinnokal-El is heading to that fortress. We should follow him.

(Behind him, the rage overtakes Tarantula.)

Tarantula: An obvious course of action, but having been suggested by you, Azula, I must consider that you are leading us into a trap!

Azula: You have good reason to doubt me. Long have I fought against you, but this time I swear we fight togther!

Tarantula: No, you are in league with Shinnokal-El! You lured us to our doom! If we are to perish, then so shall you, evil princess!

(They fight. In his enraged fury, the Shirai Ryu Firebender easily overpowers Azula and beats her to the ground. He moves in to deliver a final blow of fire.)

Tarantula: This is the end, Azula! I will FINISH YOU!

Zuko: Izuku, stop! My sister is not the enemy this time!

Tarantula: Step aside, Zuko!

Zuko: No! I will not let you kill her!

Tarantula: Then you have turned your back on your friends and family ! Broken your vow and betrayed me!

[They fight. The fury of Izuku proves too much even for the Renegade Prince to handle and Zuko is soon down for the count. Tarantula charges up another lightning attack and moves in for the kill.]

Zuko: Raiden...stop!

(Zuko falls unconscious. Azula watches with amazement.)

Azula: Fatality?

(Tarantula suddenly realizes he's lost control. The rage fades away in an instant and he cancels the fire attack. He steps back, unsure of himself.)

Tarantula: What have I done?

Azula: You have wasted precious time. We must destroy Shinnokal-El, take the battle to his fortress.

Tarantula: You are right...but this fight is mine alone. It was my fire blast that created Shinnokal-El.

Azula: Do not be a fool! You heard what my father said; we must fight together!

Tarantula: No, the rage will only turn us against each other. I will face him alone.

(Tarantula teleports away as Zuko begins to wake up.)

(Batman flies with his Batwing into the fortress, which is part Superman's, part Shinnok's, separated by an energy rift. At the same time, Tarantula jumps in. Both are inflicted by the rage, and both of them spot Shinnokal-El standing in front of them.)

Batman: Shinnokal-El... It's time to correct my mistake.

Tarantula: Shinnokal-El... The time has come to correct my mistake.

(As they both walk toward Shinnokal-El, he disappears, leaving Batman and Tarantula to spot each other.)

Batman: You! You're not going to stop me!

Tarantula: Batman...

Batman: Tarantula...

Tarantula: The rest of your forces were defeated.

Batman: So were yours. Nobody won here.

Tarantula: Then it is between us now!

Batman: That's fine with me!

(To be continued)