Chapter 13: Bloodwar Tournament

Pete POV

Rain pounded against the window of the hallway. I still remembered the exact moment when we promised each other that we will figure things out, and we did. We felt something more beyond our friendship, and the desire we couldn't hold.

"If you can't love me anymore..." My voice was breaking again. "Then, please take care of yourself."
Tears already spilling over his face. He mumbled something as he tried to reach my hand, but I was too fast to avoid his grasp.
"Please don't!" I said, harsher than I meant to. Without looking back at the man I loved, I hastily shot past the hallway, the lightning flash from the window as I keep making small sobs along the way to my room. Kao, why do you have to do this? My uncle would do anything to destroy and get what he wants. You fell into his trap. How can we ever fix this?
I locked the door once I got to my room, and smashed the wall with my fist three times. My mind was throbbing hard that I crash on the cold floor and scream. I didn't care if anyone could hear me. I didn't care if Kao would barge in my room, or any of my friends. I just have to let it all out.

The lightning flashed again, and thunder rumbled that the walls shook. I scream louder this time. I inadvertently grabbed the thick blanket of the bed, and it toppled over me before I even realize it.
I didn't know how long I was on the floor, spinning thoughts of my uncle and Kao, and even Lowie. I didn't realize I've fallen asleep until a chime woke me up.
I opened my eyes groggily. Blue light streamed through my window. I jerked my head up. My whole body was sore, and my arms ached from sleeping. I didn't check my phone. Maybe it was just from the Mystery Freaks group chat or maybe it was Kao trying to get me back. Part of me prayed that last night was all a bad dream. Maybe it was.

No.
What happened last night was real.

Khai POV

I've watched one time the Bloodwar Tournament once with Prem. It always take at the Bangkok Dome, packed with a hundred screaming fans ad all eyes trained on the contestant. The prize was usually cash or a favor or even temporary alliance. After hanging out with Third in his room, I went directly back to the area of the royals. Slept through a peaceful sleep, and woke up at five to watch one episode of K-drama series.

I took the morning stroll, bumping into Pete at the cafeteria around seven in the morning, and we decided to go to the Training Room. We made our way through the corridors, crossed the small street, and into the training room at the west building.

"Tell me you haven't been sleeping." I said, noticing the dark circles under his eyes.

"Bad night." Pete replied in a flat tone.

"Bad break up?" I suggested, my eyebrows flying up.
Pete glared, his eyes pierced through my soul.

"Bad breakup, it is." I nodded solemnly, which explains the sad face he was making earlier at breakfast while eating Blueberry waffles and sipping a black coffee.
I assumed that he and Kao were cuddly together. I lingered in silence for a few seconds. "Do you want to talk about it?"
"No." He said, with the same tone.
I blocked his path, squeezing his shoulder. "Hey, don't dwell too much on that thought."
Pete's body stiffened, he didn't glare or even resist, which was surprising because he was always like this walking time bomb that's about to explode anytime.

"I don't feel like going to the Tournament. Seeing Kao would only-" He inhaled sharply. "My uncle blackmailed him."

"That son of a bitch did?!" My voice rising. "I swear, I will convince Two he would be stripped off by his position in the Magic Council! What he'd say?"

"Kao couldn't tell me. He was...he was scared."

"Well, I am not." I said. "Being in a higher position doesn't mean you can exploit all the power and wealth you have! Harmony should be the first priority of the magic council." I turned to look down at the floor beneath Pete and glance back at him.