Chapter 19: Poison Berserk

Kao POV

The explosion blurred every sense in my body. Coming back little by little, I saw Pete's face matted with dirt and sweat. He was shaking my shoulder. I groaned and stared at him. 
"Pete..."

"Kao, you have to hurry!"  Then, a rumble rolled us over to the side. Rocks and shards of mirrors slid down as well to the gaping wall below. There were blue flames swarming on the street. Pete immediately covered me with his body, mostly now in iron, refraining himself from getting stab. 
He looked down briefly and took a grappling hook from his pocket, the shot went past me, hitting somewhere on the room.

I grunted at the sharp tug of the wire clinging around my waist. My hand wrapped around his wrist. Pete gave a small grunt. "Pete! What are you doing?!" I managed to say.

"I'm trying to save your life, you idiot." Pete hissed through gritted teeth. I looked up at the hook on the wall. He is ridiculous! He would die if I wouldn't haul him back to the building.

But when I looked down at him, he was smiling wistfully and his eyes shone with clarity, saying; I'm gonna greet death like an old friend. His hand slipping from my grip, his legs dangling free. 

My hurt and trepidation made me tremble a bit but I forced every strength to not let go. "You have to let me go or we will both die." Pete said, his voice sounds commanding. "Let me go."

Tears burned at the back of my eyes. "Please don't let go." 
"You're gonna be okay." He assured, accepting his fate.

"Pete, no, please, don't do this." My voice cracked a little. The building rumbled, and just like that, my world had gone slow as terror and shock filled me, realizing that at this very moment my life ended. 

Pete swung himself backward as my grip wasn't enough to hold him, I tried to catch him but it was too late.

"NOOOO!!!!" I screamed as I watched him fall into the pits of hellfire. He was still looking at me with that satisfied expression, that in his last moment all he saw was me, and saving my life was worth it. My face turning into the color of ashes. The second he reached the licking flames. I quickly wrenched my eyes away, I couldn't stand watching him being burned by hellfire. 

When I glanced back, the flames had already consumed him, and Pete, the boy who meant everything to me. The boy I loved...was dead. 

Kong POV 

"P'Arthit?" My voice echoed in the hallway. Someone was talking in my right direction, so I whirled and stalked towards the voices. 

"There you are." My feet froze as my eyes went wide. I felt as if someone had punched me in the stomach.

P'Trae had P'Arthit, his hands restrained behind his back. There were three darklings standing beside P'Trae. "I'd love to talk to you but...I really do need your boyfriend, little bro."

A blue smoke erupted from the window behind P'Trae. The effects knocked me a few feet backward. As I tumbled, I saw that there was Pytro and several darklings in the other side. 

Then The portal vanished, and they vanished with it.
And the three Darklings swiveled their heads and they lunged at me. Only, I didn't act because Kao burst from the mirror room. Angrily dispatching the first Darkling with his arms coated with poison crystals.

Kao POV 

Rage exploded within me. I surged forward, splattering blood beneath me. The two Darklings roared at my face. I wanted to fall and commit suicide and die along with Pete. 

The Darkling shoved me, nearly knocking me over. I flipped the darkling, face slamming hard against the wall. Sprinting forward, I managed to dodge the claws that swayed over me.

I gave few good punches with the Darkling as my heart craved for violence. I slashed the poison crystal into its chest, aiming straight for its heart, and breaking free from the cut on its torso. 

The last Darkling's face cleared as it leaped up. Snarling, the creature charged and tried to rip my face off. I mustered all my strength, drew back, and attacked. The side of my poison crystal hit its neck. The Darkling gave a loud sickening cry.

But hell, their suffering fuels my bloodlust even more. 
I would love to hear every single cry of theirs. 
Until my poison itself kills them.

The Darkling rose again but I was on him before he could even do it. The poison sang through my bones, and I hacked and hacked the crystal as I kept seeing Pete falling off the building. 

"Kao! Kao!" I barely even heard Kong's voice. "Kao! The Darkling is gone!"

Slowly taking a breath, I looked down at the Darkling's body, his head had been detached. I followed the trail of blood to a sculptured vase, underneath was its head. 

"Kao." Kong whispered. "Kao, we have to find P'Arthit. Come on."

"No..." I said in a cracking and shaking voice. The bloodlust was still pulsing in me."I can't do this anymore. They...I killed Pete...I killed...I shouldn't have...let go."

As my babble goes on, Kong's mouth drew open as tears began to gather in his eyes.  The poison crystals fell out of my hands, landing with a loud clatter on the floor.

Kong wrapped his arms around me. I didn't know what I needed. I didn't know if this is right. The tears in my eyes grew unbearable. The grief that I had been feeling had finally come free. Kong tightened his hug. There were just the two of us in the hallway.

The pain had seized my heart, and it was taking my breath away.