Epilogue

-The Final Chapter-

"Lucas, seriously? Again?" I shook my head at the splattered baby food on the kitchen table. "Daddy is not going to be happy with you." I warned as I took him out the highchair.

His once pitch black hair was turning a dark brown, and his baby blue eyes were doe-like. The sweet potato baby food was smudged all over his chubby cheeks. Practically the poster child for a cherub.

I placed him on my hip, and walked into the kitchen. "Hey, mom. Glad you could make it." I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, dear. Where's that husband of yours?" she asked as she washed the dishes.

"Last time I saw he was outside with the kids. I can hardly keep up with him at this point." I laughed.

The house phone rang at precisely the same time Lucas started crying. I bounced him on my hip, and attempted to soothe him, but his little eyes just wouldn't stop the tears from flowing.

Mom held the phone while she finished drying the dishes. "Oh, yes. I almost forgot about those, thanks for calling. I'll get my daughter to pick it up. Okay, bye." 

"Exactly what am I picking up, mom?" I said as I rubbed Lucas' back. 

"The cake, dear, the cake. We can't have a birthday party without a cake. And I still have to make the cookies. Will you, please?" she fluttered her lashes.

I rolled my eyes in faux exasperation, "Fine, fine. Can you take Lucas for me though? I don't want to have him crying in the backseat."

"Of course." she took him off my hands, "I can't believe Melinda and Harold have been together for 50 years, it's so...romantic." she cooed.

"It takes commitment, I'll give you that. Anyway, I got to go get the cake before the party starts. Be back in 20." I said as I grabbed my wallet.

"And he still gives her flowers every Sunday. Isn't that wonderful?"

I nodded, "Yes, mom, it's wonderful."

"Oh, and she was telling me the other day that sh-"

"Mom?"

She broke from her reverie, "Yes, honey?"

"Cake."

"Oh, right. You go on now. If we have no cake, I'm blaming you."

"Wha-but you-" I stuttered.

"Cake, Vivian." she reiterated.

I looked at her incredulously. She happily mixed a bowl of cookie dough as she held Lucas. "Lots of chocolate chips in your cookies?" she asked him.

I made my way out the door, and to the bakery for Mrs. Halbot's cake. The 50th anniversary is definitely a milestone. I had the pleasure of meeting, Harold, her husband just a few months ago. He was very old fashioned, and completely and madly in love with her. One can only hope to last that long. Now that right there is a relationship goal.

I parked to the side of the bakery and did a quick check in the rear view mirror. My hair grew back out, and soon faded back to it's original dark brown color. I made the horrible mistake of cutting my own bangs, and had to clip up the front all the time now; you'd think I'd learn my lesson from high school. Nothing's really changed, not dramatically anyway. I was happy with where I was, and I was happy that I just saw a worker put up freshly baked cream puffs. 

"I'm here to pick up a cake?" I said to the cashier.

She looked up, and asked, "Name?"

"It should be under Halbot."