Chapter 3

Vivian's POV

     I didn't hold it against him that he forgot to call and let me know. It was just the feeling of not being remembered that really hurt.

     I was just grabbing my keys, and slipping on my heels before I heard the door bell. I'm sure my hair was all over the place so I just quickly tied my hair into a ponytail.

Ding-Dong

"I'm coming!" I opened the door only to be greeted by Lillian.

"Hi Lilly, didn't expect to see you today. Is something the matter?"

"Oh, no of course not. Just thought I'd drop by to see my favorite girl. Anything wrong with that?" She was acting too innocent. I squinted my eyes in a condescending manner.

"Lillian." I said with a suspicious tone.

"Were you heading out?" She attempted to change the subject. Unsuccessfully I might add. But I'll let it go, for now.

I sighed. "Yes, I was going out for an early brunch. Care to join?"

"That would be splendid!" she clapped her hands lightly.

"So would you tell me the real reason why you showed up at my doorstep?" I said while buttering a raspberry bagel. I put the butter knife down as the waitress delivered our drinks.

"I was just curious as all..."

"About?" Lillian looked uncomfortable, and that is not normal.

"Were you busy last night?"

"Um, no. I can't say I was. I was just at the studio." I left out the depressing crying scene so as not to cause her worry.

"Oh."

Oh? What's that suppose to mean?

"Lilly, we've known each other for a good ten years. You're gonna have to explain a little more than a simple oh."

"It's just you didn't come to family dinner, so I just thought..." she trailed off.

I'm sure a look of shock was evident on my face. Family dinner? Richard didn't tell me about it. That thought caused me to be even more depressed. Why wouldn't he invite me?

"I... I had some last minute pieces to finish so i told Rich to go on without me." Let's just say lying is not my strongest point.

"But you just said that you were just at the studio." Oh, crap.

"I forgot I told him to go ahead. Sorry, with all these deadlines, it's just a little overwhelming is all." I assured her.

"Don't overwork yourself dear. We wouldn't want you being skin and bones for skipping meals. Speaking of meals, you are eatting correct?" she eyed me carefully.

"Yes, of course I have." technically I wasn't lying. I had donuts for lunch yesterday, and a banana this morning.

     Brunch carried on with light conversation about plans for Thanksgiving and the latest gossip on who wore it best. But I couldn't keep that nagging feeling from slipping in my mind.

     Lillian left to the grocery store and was heading back out to the countryside. I decided to actually work on the final designs of my fashion line rather than sitting and moping while eating some darn good donuts.

"Good morning, Miss Keeley."

"Morning, Isis." Isis has been a loyal employee for a good two years now. She was head of all the managing and helped me keep other workers in line if I was in the studio.

     I walked to the back of the small boutique and stepped into my fashion haven. But then I saw Richard sitting at my desk going through a magazine.

He stood up when he saw me enter, and I made my way over to the front of the desk.

"Why is everyone just popping up out of nowhere?" I mumbled underneath my breath.

"What?" I looked and saw Rich with a confused look.

"Nothing. It was nothing. So what brings you here?"

"And since when did I need an excuse to see my best friend?"

      The word friend will forever haunt me. But what can I do now that he has his sights on someone else?

"You usually have a reason that's all." I tried to appear nonchalant about it. "Funny thing is your mother came to see me this morning."

"My mother came to see you?" I looked at him with a duh look because that's what I just said.

"What did she say?"

"Oh, nothing. Just asked why I didn't show for family dinner." I sat at my desk as he walked to the side opposite me and placed the magazine down.

"Look, Viv, I didn't mean to not invite you. I just wanted my parents to meet Alise."

"So you did mean to not invite me then."

"What?"

"You just said that you wanted your parents to meet her which obviously means you didn't invite me for that very reason."

"Okay, the point is, I wasn't trying to push you away." I could tell he was getting frustrated. Explaining himself is one of the things Rich rarely has to do.

"It's okay, Rich. It's just dinner. Don't worry about it." I said softly.

"So...am I forgiven?"

     I took a moment to ponder. This will probably start happening often but, that doesn't mean we can't still be the bestest buddies right?

"Yeah. You're forgiven."