Chapter 27

RECAP

"Alright, Ms. Keeley, we're going to do this as safely and painlessly as possible. We want you to relax so we're going to give you an epidural to lesson the pain, is that alright?"

I nodded and looked up at the ceiling. Tears prickled my eyes and clutched my gown and tried not to panic. This was the right thing to do.

As Steven so nicely put it, let's just get this over with.

-Vivian-

"Alright, Ms. Keeley, we'll start the induction with pitocin which will just get those contractions started. So just breathe, alright? I've got the IV hooked up as well as the heart monitor." Dr. Miller gently patted y hand and injected the drug.

I took deep breathes and in the next few minutes I could feel the pitocin working. It was like each part of my body was shutting down except for the familiar beginnings of cramps. All my thoughts were on the pain and beads of sweat gathered on my forehead.

This is actually happening right now. 

Dr. Miller and Jaclyn helped me sit up and suggested for me to drink some water and walk around the room, which I did to help distract myself. It didn't work. The pain just got worse as hours and hours went by. A nurse was with me in the room at all times; sometimes they switched out whether it was due to breaks or other patients calling. I think I've had about 4 nurses already.

I leaned my hand on the wall and had my other hand on my back, breathing in huge gulps of air. The nurse came over and asked if I'd like to be seated and I shook my head. I wasn't ready to push yet, that much I knew. But these contractions were a pain in the ass.

"Sir, you can't be in here."

I looked over my shoulder and saw Steven huffing and puffing at the door. "It's fine. He's the father."

The nurse looked between us and nodded, stepping aside to let him in. 

"Are you alri-" I glared.

"Bad question." he winced, "you look...pretty."

"Don't start with me, Steven." I let out a cry as another contraction hit.

'Why isn't the doctor here helping here?" Steven said as he came next to me.

"Dr. Miller will be here during the labor, but for now we are waiting until her cervix expands a bit more." 

Steven made a face, "I didn't need to know that last part."

"Shut up, and get me to the bed." I growled through my hoarse voice.

He nodded quickly and guided me to the bed, making sure to be careful. I could tel the guilt was eating him for not coming sooner by the look of frustration on his face. I grabbed his hand and squeezed. He looked up at me and kissed the back of my palm.

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

"Argh! Why does it hurt so much?!" I breathed.

He didn't let go as I continued to screech, and even as I practically broke every bone in his hand. I could feel my hair getting damp and my lip bleed from the many times I've chewed on it. The pain was worse than the car crash. Hell, it was worse than every heart break, embarrassment, and tear I've cried. 

"Steven, you said that we'd just get this over with. Why the hell is it taking so long?!" 

The nurse gave him a dirty look, and he looked like a puppy being scolded. "I-I didn't mean that, and we just have to be patient."