0.80 In Which They Play A Dangerous Game

DISCLAIMER: I Don't Own Teen Wolf. I do own Ellie, though, so don't try to take her.

Stiles and Scott were often hard to be around when they were engaged in one of their 'best friend' conversations. They had a lot of history, and that could be intimidating to those unfamiliar or unaccustomed to it.

Ellie Argent didn't find it particularly off-putting, however. Scott was her boyfriend, and she knew that they had their own bond, and Stiles - well, Stiles was Stiles, it was hard not to like him. As they drove away from the auto-shop, she had to stop herself from badgering the teenager with questions. From the look on his face, he would refuse to give any answers before the werewolf was present.

They picked up Scott on the side of the road, and he seemed surprised - and hurt - that Ellie was the one driving. Seeing the wounded look on her boyfriend's face was upsetting, and she had to clamp her mouth shut to stop herself from rushing out a guilty explanation. It honestly wasn't her fault that she couldn't meet him. If Gerard caught her, he would've been much harder on her than Allison. She was the 'problem child' after all.

Stiles didn't need to be asked to speak. He twisted his body in his seat to face both Ellie and Scott, and gave them his most serious expression. Tension coiled in the air around them all; Ellie pulled the car over to the side of the road.

"You were right," the pale boy began. "It's not like you. I mean, it's eyes were almost like... reptilian. There was something about him..."

Scott frowned. "What do you mean?"

"You know when you see a friend in a Halloween mask, but all you can actually see are their eyes? And you feel like you know them, but you can't figure it out you it is?" Stiles tried.

"Are you saying that you know who it is?" Ellie asked in disbelief.

"No," he denied. "But I think it knew me."

;

It was safe to say that the journey back to each of their houses was a silent one. They were too busy mulling the new information over in their heads to talk normally. In fact, Ellie didn't say more than a few words at all for the rest of the night, or the morning after.

School the next day crept up in the girl like a tiger, but it was as graceful or beautiful. Allison seemed to be slightly off, muttering about trust, and she almost bit her cousin's head off when she teased her about Stiles.

"I don't like Stiles like that anymore, Ellie," Allison scoffed. "I don't need a boy to distract me."

Ellie spent the rest of the morning in a state of almost paralytic confusion. Her phone gave her a short message from Stiles saying 'thank you', and she didn't hear at all from Scott. The odd creature that had attacked her was still crowding the back of her mind, leaving her frowning and earning a detention from Mr Harris for not paying attention.

Before lunch, Ellie stumbled her way to Scott on shaking legs. Stiles, who had been loitering around the werewolf as if waiting for either of them to come up with supernatural theories, nudged his friend before jogging away.

"Hi," he said hesitantly, sitting himself on the stairs behind him.

"Hi," Ellie replied, taking a place next to him. "Look, I'm really sorry about last night. I wanted to talk to you, but I couldn't without being caught by my grandfather and that wouldn't have ended well for either of us."

"It's fine," Scott smiled sweetly. "I know that you wouldn't have stood me up on purpose."

She sighed in relief, resting a hand on his shoulder in the only gesture of comfort she could manage without letting people know they were still in a relationship. They were known to be just friends now -in fact, everyone was under the impression that they had remained broken up since the night in the school all those months ago.