1.20 In Which Knowledge Is Power

Ellie volunteered to return Lydia to her house. Stiles had offered his assistance (red-faced and excited at the prospect of being in a car alone with his obsession), but the brunette had shot him down, knowing her best friend needed someone she was familiar with - not a random boy she'd had two conversations with that just-so-happened to be in love with her.

The strawberry blonde looked sufficiently traumatised, clothes ruffled and eyes red from previous tears. There was an accusing look in her eyes as she stared at them all, giving Derek a wary look, and regarding Erica with narrowed eyes as she remained paralysed in the road. It was obvious that she wanted to know what the hell was going on, but none of them had any idea how to explain it to her.

Knowing what was going on would only put her in more danger than she was already in. After what happened the year before at the winter formal, when Peter had attacked her, Ellie was certain that involving her in everything with no reason other than her desire to acquire the knowledge would do nothing to help her. What Lydia didn't know was less likely to harm her than what she did.

The journey to Lydia's house was silent. Their breathing was laboured from the night's events, and the sound filled the vehicle, blanketing over palpable tension. Ellie debated on whether to speak or not, unsure of what to really say. As much as she was aware of the consequences of telling her the truth, it didn't stop her from wishing she could share everything with the strawberry blonde. Even just discussing the terms of her sort-of-secret relationship with Scott was out of the question - she could hardly tell her the reason her uncle refused to approve of the pairing.

But with the wish to protect Lydia came the other reason, the one that reminded her of herself before she was forced into the world of werewolves, kanimas and hunters. Before her parents died. Life used to be so normal, so pure, and she wanted her closest friend to maintain the level of innocence she held. Even if it meant keeping Jackson away, warding him off with a stick, she would do it - Lydia didn't deserve the horror, the terror, the stress of all they were going through. They were only teenagers; Lydia was still fifteen!

When they reached Lydia's house, Ellie sighed, a headache blooming behind her eyes. She turned slowly to Lydia, hoping to convey just how sorry she was through her eyes. "I need you to promise that you won't say anything about what happened tonight."

"I'll promise not to say anything about what happened tonight if you tell me what the hell happened," Lydia replied, voice hoarse and distressed. "Like, in detail. With diagrams and annotations and analysis' that will help me understand the craziness that just happened."

"It's complicated, Lydia," Ellie told her. "There's too much... I don't even know where I would begin to explain everything."

"Why don't you start with: why was Derek there?" Lydia suggested, looking so confused it made Ellie hate the alpha, hate her crazy grandfather, just that little bit more. Everything they were being put through, everything her poor friend (who had absolutely nothing to do with anything) was being put through was all because her aunt was a stupid bitch who couldn't keep her freaking weird vendettas to herself. "Or where Jackson went? Or what is wrong with Erica?"

"I..." Ellie trailed off, not sure how to respond.

Her friend scoffed. "What? Do you need a minute to come up with a plausible lie?"

This was terrible; her entire friendship was crumbling around her, and, even if she were to spill everything, nothing could make it better. There was no way she could do anything about it with Lizard Boy roaming the streets and a bunch of trigger-happy werewolf hunters were threatening them at every corner.

"One of the reasons I'm asking is because Scott and I aren't really supposed to be seen around each other right now," the brunette admitted. That was a piece of information she could reveal, at least. "It would be better for everyone, including you, if you just... keep this to yourself."