Chapter 46

Lexa was jolted awake by Anya's gentle shaking, and her heart leapt in her chest when she realized that the fluorescent lights were illuminating Abby, who looked as if she herself had shed a few tears.

The room seemed to fall silent as Lexa sat up in her seat, blinking as she tried to maintain her composure.

It simply wasn't possible. Her insides were eating away at her. She worried her lip in anticipation as Abby gently shrugged off Kane's attempts at consolation. Instead, Abby turned straight for Lexa, kneeling in front of her chair so that they were face to face.

"Hi, honey." Abby murmured as she cupped Lexa's cheeks, gently rubbing at Lexa's tears. "Oh, don't cry. Don't you cry. (Y/n) is gonna be just fine, Lexa." Abby informed her, a small smile blooming on her face.

Lexa paused, face pale, heart hammering. Had she heard that correctly?

"...I...." Lexa croaked, unable to form thoughts, let alone coherent sentences.

"She's okay. Nasty accident, she has some stitches, a concussion...nothing major. (Y/n)'s alright."

Gasps of relief were sounding around the group, but none louder than Lexa's.

It was the sweetest relief she'd ever felt. The most wonderful news in the world. You, her girlfriend, was okay. You were going to be fine. She'd be able to hold you, and see that megawatt smile, and tease you again. She was going to be able to tell you that she loved you seven thousand times a day, (as she now planned on doing).

Abby gently wrapped her arms around Lexa, who hugged back, tightly.

"When can I see her?" Lexa sniffled silently.

She needed to see you to believe you were okay. She had to.

"She's going to be up soon, okay?" Abby brushed a stray hair out of Lexa's face, in a motherly gesture that you would have adored. "You will be the first one in there, I promise."

Lexa nodded and Abby pressed a kiss to her forehead before rising and dusting her knees off, turning to murmur to Kane in the corner.

You were going to be okay.

Lexa felt her heart finally, finally resume at a normal pace, pumping blood to her previously pale face.

The Delinquents were back to their normal, excited selves, voices a dull roar now that their leader was safe and sound.

Within thirty minutes, Abby was waving Lexa over.

Everyone paused to watch Lexa stand, trying to compose herself as she nearly leapt out of her seat, hoodie taken off of her wet locks of hair as she quietly followed Abby into the new room, heart pounding in her chest as she heard whispers beside her.

And there was the fallen angel herself.

You were leaning against the pillow, seated semi-upright, with a bandaged arm, a cut under your eyes, and a bandage on your head.

You looked beaten, but very much alive.

Tears were flowing down Lexa's cheeks as she all but bolted to your side, missing the way Abby shut the door and left to give the two a few minutes of privacy.

Your eyes widened when you took in Lexa's wet, disheveled state, rushing beside you, the two feasting on each other with their eyes alone, taking in every last detail.

Lexa smelled like her vanilla shampoo, and the rain. You would have killed to have that scent burned into your senses forever.

Lexa reached out, hand shaking, unsure of what to do. She opened her mouth, but the only thing that kept coming out in a dull gasp was, "...(Y/n)."