Chapter 23

Lexa's POV.

The doorbell rang and a smile immediately crossed Lexa's face, but before she could move to get up, Aden was out of his seat like a shot, bolting across the floor, his sock-clad feet easily skidding to his destination.

"I've got it!" he called unnecessarily over his shoulder, and Lexa laughed lightly as he practically flung the door open, your face obscured by a large brown bag of groceries.

"Honey," you called teasingly, and Lexa felt her smile widen, cheeks aching slightly from the pressure, "I'm home." Aden took the groceries from you with ease, and you smiled down at him and ruffled his hair, pressing a quick kiss to his forehead. At the sight of the two of you being so familiar with one another, Lexa felt herself turn into a small puddle of goo (gay), and she knew if she'd been alone a soft utterance of aww would have escaped her lips.

"Thanks, Aden," you laughed, before quickly making your way over to Lexa, who was leaning on the entrance to the kitchen. You pressed a soft kiss to both of the girl's cheeks, before standing on tip-toe to reach Lexa's forehead, kissing the spot between her eyebrows.

"Hey," you whispered, somewhat breathlessly, as Lexa pulled you closer, the taller girl smiling down at you.

"What?" Lexa teased. "No kiss on the lips?"

"Not with that attitude, no," You shot back, and Lexa pouted. You went to move away, but Lexa spun you back around, swallowing your laugh as she pressed your lips together quickly. As she made to deepen the embrace, Aden coughed awkwardly, and Lexa huffed when you pulled away with an apologetic glance.

"Sorry Aden," You laughed, and he shook his head, glancing between the two of you.

"I'll be in my room, pretending I don't exist," he assured them, and you abandoned Lexa's side to pull him in for a quick hug.

"I'll call you down when dinner's ready," you told him, "we don't want you to starve, now, do we?" Aden grinned up at you before saluting at Lexa and scampering up the stairs.

"You're so good with him," Lexa murmured, once more pulling you into an embrace, peppering kisses along your face.

"He's a joy," you assured her, "he's like, my new best friend."

"I thought that was me?" Lexa pouted, and you laughed softly.

"You're a little more than that," You consoled, and Lexa sighed contentedly, breathing in the scent of your shampoo and revelling in the warmth that radiated from you.

Despite your protests, Lexa was truly in awe of the way you interacted with her little brother. No matter how many times she thought about it, or said it aloud, it was truly astounding to her.

You were too good for her.

Lexa knew her own worth.

She was successful in everything she participated in, whether it be school, or sports, or just life in general. She'd entered the world leaps and bounds ahead of her peers just because of her name, and thus had grown up already displayed on a golden pedestal. But you? You were so much better than she could ever hope to be.

You were wholesome and good in all of the places that Lexa lacked. You were brightness and sunshine and warmth while Lexa was a jaded echo of a person still trying to find her way in the world. While Lexa had worth in business and sports and wealth, you were simply a good person, and Lexa often felt that she didn't deserve you.

"Hey." Lexa's eyes opened slowly to find your (Y/e/c) gaze locked onto her own, concern shining in bright orbs. "You okay?"

"Mhm," Lexa assured, "just thinking."