An Interesting Summer

Chapter 3: An Interesting Summer

"Is there a reason you needed to talk to me?" Claire asked, feeling more worried by the second.

"She has to know, Molly. We've kept her in the dark too long. She needs to know everything, including her parents." Mr. Weasley said to his wife.

"My parents?" Claire said in shock. "You mean, you're actually going to tell me about them?"

Mrs. Weasley sighed. "Claire it's time you knew the truth."

"Your parents didn't just leave you on our doorstep for no reason," Mrs. Weasley began. "There was a man. You're mother didn't tell us much about him but she said he was after you."

"Why was he after me?" Claire asked.

"We don't know. Your parents kept us in the dark. They said it would be too dangerous if we knew." Mr. Weasley said.

"But why wouldn't they keep me with them? Wouldn't it be worse if I wasn't with them? Wouldn't I be a more vulnerable target?" Claire questioned.

"All your parents told us was that you'd be safer here because he wouldn't expect you to be here." Mrs. Weasley said.

Claire's eyes drifted towards the newspaper in Mr. Weasley's hands.

"So, how does all of this relate to that newspaper?" Claire asked, pointing at the paper.

Mr. Weasley handed her the newspaper. On the front there was a headshot of sunken-faced man with long, matted hair.

Black Still At Large

Sirius Black, possibly the most infamous prisoner ever to be held in Azkaban fortress, is still eluding capture, the Ministry of Magic confirmed today. "We are doing all we can to recapture Black," said the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, this morning, "and we beg the magical community to remain calm." Fudge has been criticized by some members of the International Federation of Warlocks for informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the crisis. "Well, really, I had to, you don't know," said an irritable Fudge. "Black is mad. He's a danger to anyone who crosses him, magic or Muggle. I have the Prime Minister's assurance that he will not breathe a word of Black's true identity to anyone. And let's face it-who'd believe him if he did?"

While Muggles have been told that Black is carrying a gun (a kind of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other), the magical community lives in fear of a massacre like that of twelve years ago, when Black murdered thirteen people with a single curse.

"Sirius Black? What's he have to do with my parents?" Claire questioned.

"Sirius is your mother's twin brother." Mrs. Weasley answered.

Claire was quiet for a moment taking in the information. Her mother was Sirius Black's twin. This man had murdered thirteen people with one curse and now he escaped from Azkaban. Great. She thought sarcastically.

"We're telling you this because we fear he may come after you and Harry," Mr. Weasley said.

"Harry? Why?" Claire asked.

Mr. Weasley was about to talk before Mrs. Weasley spoke.

"I think it's time for you to go to bed, Claire."

"But Mrs. Weasley, I-" Claire was cut off.

"Now!" Mrs. Weasley said sternly.

Claire reluctantly went to her room. She was frustrated. She had a feeling they hadn't told her everything. Why were they being so secretive? Why couldn't they just tell her what she wanted to know? Why was a man after her? Why would her parents leave her with the Weasleys if that man was after her? None of it made sense to her. She opened the door to her room and saw that Ginny was awake and the light was on. Ginny noticed Claire looked irked.