Dementors Aren't the Nicest Beings

Chapter 5: Dementors Aren't the Nicest Beings

September first had finally arrived. Ron and Harry were walking downstairs to get some breakfast.

"The sooner we get on the train, the better," Ron said. "At least I can get away from Percy at Hogwarts. Now he's accusing me of dripping tea on his photo of Penelope Clearwater. You know," Ron grimaced, "his girlfriend. She's hidden her face under the frame because her nose has gone all blotchy…."

They soon arrived downstairs where they saw Mr. Weasley reading the Daily Prophet and Mrs. Weasley telling Claire, Hermione, and Ginny about a love potion she'd made as a young girl. Mrs. Weasley, Hermione, and Ginny were rather giggly, while Claire rolled her eyes and ate her breakfast. Ron and Harry sat down at the table and began eating.

After breakfast, everyone was in a rush to bring down their trunks and other belongings to be loaded in the cars. By the time everyone got their belongings downstairs, the cars the Ministry had sent had arrived. They marched across a short stretch of pavement toward the two old-fashioned dark green cars. Each car was driven by a furtive-looking wizard wearing a suit that was the same shade as the cars. Claire, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and to both Ron and Claire's disgust, Percy were riding in the same car.

The journey to King's Cross was uneventful. When they arrived at King's Cross and their belongings were on the trolleys, they made their way to Platform 9 3/4.

"Now, we're all traveling in pairs through the wall," Mrs. Weasley said. "Claire go with Percy."

"What?" Claire said. "But, I already had to sit in the car with him as he went on and on about his girlfriend. Don't you think that's-"

Mrs. Weasley gave her infamous glare and Claire shut up and went through the barrier with Percy. Mr. Weasley and Harry went through the barrier next.

"Ah, there's Penelope!" Percy said, smoothing his hair and going pink again.

Claire caught Harry's eye, and they both turned away trying to hide their laughter as Percy strode over to a girl with long, curly hair, walking with his chest thrown out so that she couldn't miss his shiny badge.

Claire rolled her eyes. "Desperate much?"

Once the remaining Weasleys and Hermione had joined them, Harry, Claire, Ron, and Hermione led the way to the end of the train, past packed compartments, to a carriage that was empty and placed their belongings in there before going back outside to say good-bye to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Mrs. Weasley kissed all her children, then Hermione, then Claire, and finally, Harry.

"Do take care, won't you, Harry?" Mrs. Weasley said as she straightened up, her eyes oddly bright. She then turned to Claire. "You as well, Claire, alright? I don't want you to end up in anymore life-threatening situations again like last year, ok?"

"No promises, Mrs. Weasley." Claire said.

Mrs. Weasley then opened her enormous handbag and distributed sandwiches to everyone.

"Claire, Harry," Mr. Weasley said quietly, "come over here a moment."

He jerked his head toward a pillar, and Claire and Harry followed him behind it, leaving the others crowded around Mrs. Weasley.

"You both know about Black," Mr. Weasley began. "But I need you both to look after each other. Black is a dangerous criminal."

"Arthur!" Mrs. Weasley called, who was now shepherding the rest onto the train. "Arthur, what are you doing? It's about to go!"

"They're coming, Molly!" Mr. Weasley said, but turned back to Claire and Harry and kept talking in a lower more hurried voice. "Listen, I want you both to give me your word-"