The Inner Eye and the Hippogriff

Chapter 6: The Inner Eye and the Hippogriff

When Claire, Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered the Great Hall for breakfast the next day, the first thing they saw was Draco Malfoy, who seemed to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. The moment they passed by, Malfoy did a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit and there was a roar of laughter.

"I wonder if they notice how stupid they look," Claire said, as they sat down at the Gryffindor table.

"Ignore him," Hermione said to Harry, who looked irritated with Malfoy. "Just ignore him, it's not worth it…."

"Yea, Hermione's right, Harry," Claire agreed. "He's pathetic."

"Hey, Potter!" Pansy Parkinson shrieked, a Slytherin girl with a face that resembled a pug. "Potter! The dementors are coming, Potter! Wooooo!"

"New third-year course schedules," George said, sitting next to them with his twin passing out their schedules. "What's up with you, Harry?"

"Malfoy," Ron said, glaring at the Slytherin table.

George looked up in time to see Malfoy pretending to faint with terror again.

"That little git," he said calmly. "He wasn't so cocky last night when the dementors were down at our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he, Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself," Fred said, with a contemptuous glance at Malfoy.

"I wasn't too happy myself," George said. "They're horrible things, those dementors…."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" Fred said.

"You didn't pass out, though, did you?" Harry said in a low voice.

"Forget it, Harry," George said bracingly. "Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred? And he said it was the worst place he'd ever been, he came back all weak and shaking….They suck the happiness out of a place, dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there."

"Can you blame them? I'd go mad too if I had to hang around those things." Claire said.

"Anyway, we'll see how happy Malfoy looks after our first Quidditch match," Fred said. "Gryffindor versus Slytherin, first game of the season, remember?"

Harry felt a bit more cheerful after Fred said that and began piling sausages and fried tomatoes on his plate. Hermione was looking at her new schedule.

"Ooh, good, we're starting some new subjects today." she said happily.

"Hermione," Ron said looking over her shoulder at her schedule. "How do you plan on attending three classes all at the same time? I mean I know you're good, but you're not that good."

"Don't be silly, Ron," Hermione said. "No one can be in three places at once."

Ron then saw Claire's schedule. "You have Divination and Muggle Studies like Hermione today at the same time. How do you two plan to be at both places at once?"

"Did you not hear what Hermione said Ron?" Claire replied. "We won't at both places at the same time. Now, get your nose out of our business."

"Pass the marmalade," Hermione said.

"But-" Ron was cut off by Hermione.

"Oh, Ron, what's it to you if our schedules are a bit full?" Hermione snapped. "It's all been fixed with Professor McGonagall and as Claire said keep out of our business."

Just then, Hagrid entered the Great Hall. He was wearing his long moleskin overcoat and was absentmindedly swinging a dead polecat from one enormous hand.