The Marauder's Map

Chapter 10: The Marauder's Map

Harry had to stay in the hospital wing over the weekend upon Madam Pomfrey's orders. Claire, Ron, and Hermione visited him there and saw he still had the bag that contained pieces of his broken broom.

"Harry, I hate to break it to you but there's no way your broom is going to be salvaged," Claire said, looking at the bag.

"I know," Harry sighed.

"Still upset about the game, mate?" Ron asked.

"Yea," Harry said.

Claire seemed to think Harry wasn't telling them the whole truth, but she didn't push for an explanation thinking she'd ask him when Ron and Hermione weren't around.

"It will be alright, Harry," Hermione said. "You're team still has a chance."

"Hermione's right," Ron said. "Fred and George were saying that if Hufflepuff loses to Ravenclaw or Slytherin then Gryffindor will be back in the game."

Madam Pomfrey came over at this moment to shoo them away so she could check on Harry. Ron and Hermione were heading out while Claire said to Harry, "I'll be back after lunch." She then followed Ron and Hermione to the Great Hall.

"Harry seems to beating himself up about this whole Quidditch Match," Hermione said, as they sat down at the table.

"He does," Ron agreed.

They then heard Malfoy talking loudly with the other Slytherins about Harry's accident.

"Did you see the way he fell off his broom?" Malfoy laughed. "I bet he'll be blaming the dementors for his lousy flying skills now!"

The other Slytherins laughed along with him while Claire imagined pushing Malfoy off the Astronomy tower. Claire had enough of him ridiculing her best friend. She stood up from her seat and looked towards the Slytherins.

"You're one to talk, Malfoy," Claire snapped. "How many times have you caught the Snitch again?"

The whole Gryffindor table burst out laughing. Malfoy looked infuriated and shouted to her, "Hey, Smith! How does it feel to have parents?"

Claire was about to send a jinx towards Malfoy when—

"Knock it off, Malfoy," It was Jason Saxton. "Just leave Smith alone."

"Sticking up for a Gryffindor, Saxton?" Malfoy sneered. "You disgrace the name Slytherin."

"I think you do that plenty yourself, Malfoy," Jason said.

Malfoy pulled out his wand and pointed it at Jason. He was about to use a spell when—

"Mr. Malfoy, Mr. Saxton" Snape had just entered the Great Hall. "Come see me in my office right now."

They glared at each other and then reluctantly followed Snape to his office. The Hall resumed to its normal chatter. Claire couldn't believe what just happened and apparently all the other houses were thinking the same thing.

"Did a Slytherin just stick up for a Gryffindor?" Seamus said.

"Wasn't that guy the transfer student from last year? Didn't he go to Durmstrang Institute?" Dean said.

Claire didn't feel like eating much. She finished her Pumpkin juice and stood up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Ron asked.

"I'm going to thank Saxton, I mean Jason for what he did." Claire said.

"By the way why did he do that? Didn't you two hate each other?" Hermione questioned.