[96]

At lunch I headed to the StuCo room for athletics carnival business. Tomoe-senpai was waiting inside.

"Tomoe-senpai!"

"Oh~? Kisshouin-san, long time no see!"

Ukyaa! He was as cool as ever!

"So why are you here today? Oh, permission to use the sports field, right?"

"Yes! What are you doing here, Senpai?"

"Hm? Oh, I'm just here to help out. It hasn't been long since we've changed members after all."

"I see."

For the next few weeks all class rep work involving the Student Council was going to be handled by me.

"So which events are you competing in, Kisshouin-san?"

"This year I shall be appearing in the ball toss event. The three-legged race as well."

"Ah okay. Don't get injured, alright?"

"Yes! What about you, Tomoe-senpai?"

"Me? I'm going to be doing the cavalry battle."

The cavalry battle! I can't believe I forgot! Tomoe-senpai was the one who squared off with that legendary cavalry maniac at the very end of their match, and almost won too! It was thanks to the battle with Tomoe-senpai that the idiot even began reading The Art of War to prepare for the next year.

If Tomoe-senpai of all people was going to be participating this year then Emperor was sure going to regret his retirement.

"I-! I shall be cheering for you!"

"I'm happy to hear you say that but shouldn't you be cheering for your own class?"

It's fine, it's fine. If it's for my first love I'll be a thought-traitor as many times as it takes.

"It is no problem, Senpai! Please win!" I shouted with a fist pump.
"Alright! If you're going to be cheering me on then I guess I have to give it my best. Oh, by the way, you were participating too, right?" he called out to someone behind me.

I turned around and Fellow Stalking Horse was there.

"Ah-, F- ...unny finding you here, Mizusaki-kun."

Close call! Good save, Reika!

I never called him anything else in my head so I almost slipped up. If I actually called the guy 'Fellow Stalking Horse' to his face I'm pretty sure he would murder me.

I promised myself to be more careful in the future...

Anyhow, Fellow Stalking Horse was looking at me with suspicion.

"What was that just now?"

"Eh? What might you be speaking of?"

Ah. My eyes were looking up to the right again.

The suspicion on his face intensified. Oh dear...

"Arima. You're joining the cavalry battle too, aren't you?"

Thankfully, Tomoe-senpai drew Fellow Stalking Horse's attention. Phew...

"Ah, yes. I am."

I knew it.

"My class speculated that you would be a strong opponent, Mizusaki-kun," I chimed in.

"Oh? So Arima's strong then. Sounds like I'd better put some oomph into it."

"Tomoe-senpai, faito!"

"Yeah!"

As we cheered, Fellow Stalking Horse just regarded the two of us with bewilderment. After a while, he held out a sheet of paper to Tomoe-senpai.