[122]

Wakaba-chan happened to have been walking down the hallway and talking with her friends when it happened, which is why it took the President no time at all to spot her.

"Takamichi-san."

"Yes? Ah!"

The moment she saw who had spoken her expression tightened. The girls who had been with her discreetly moved away.

"Takamichi-san, is enough not yet enough? How much further must you besmirch the name of Zui'ran before you are satisfied?"

"Eh...? Have I done something again...?" timidly asked Wakaba-chan.

The President's eyes immediately narrowed.

"Done something! Today you rode to school on a bicycle, didn't you. A student of Zui'ran, riding to school on a bicycle? What on earth were you thinking!"

The bystanders in the hallway began to whisper amongst themselves. Wakaba-chan, you rode to school on a bike...?

"I'm sorry... Umm... There wasn't anything in the rules forbidding it so I thought it would be okay..."

"Rules!? It's because nobody at Zui'ran has ever done so that such a rule wasn't necessary! Shameful! Disgraceful!"

"I'm sorry..."

Wakaba-chan lowered her head in a bow.

By now a number of students were directing unhappy expressions at her.

"A bicycle...?!" frowned my friends from beside me.

"Takamichi-san, this had better not be happening every day."

"It isn't! It's just that today my train was cancelled because of an accident, and then I was worried about being late, so I thought maybe riding a bicycle would... No. I'm really sorry..."

But Wakaba-chan didn't live very close to school did she. Just how freaking far did she pedal that thing!? Amazing. Oh, I suppose now wasn't the time to be feeling admiration.
Wakaba-chan was looking really down. The President kept her eyes on her while letting out an affected sigh.

"Takamichi-san. Are you sure you're attending the right school? If you wanted to ride a bicycle to school then wouldn't it have been better to attend one of the public schools at your house?"

"I'm really very sorry..."

"At any rate, there will not be a second display of this disgrace. Your actions are becoming too much to bear. You had best be prepared if you bring any further shame upon Zui'ran."

"I'm really sorry!"

Wakaba-chan continued to bow over and over while the President's followers chirped comments like "Aren't you getting full of yourself just because your grades are good?" and "Learn your place already."

I suppose it was pretty bad for a student at Zui'ran to ride a bike to school, but was all this really necessary...?

"What's wrong, Takamichi!?"

Attracted by the disturbance, Fellow Stalking Horse rushed onto the scene.

"And what are you supposed to be?" glared the President.

"I'm Mizusaki, a member of the Student Council."

"I know that, obviously. I'm asking what a Student Council member thinks he's doing here."

"Resolving the problems in the school is the duty of the Student Council," he replied with a severe expression.

Despite the way Stalking Horse towered over her, the President wasn't cowered in the least and snorted mockingly at him.