Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"Thorin, are you sure about this?" Dwalin asks softly, and Thorin nods urgently. "Do it." He looks towards the tower where Azog is still lurking. "We'll live to fight another day."

Thorin nods at Bilbo and I and turns to walk away, but I can't move. No. This is all wrong.

A drum sounds, loud in the silence. Thorin and Bilbo stop abruptly, the looks on their faces enough to make my knees start shaking. The drumming gets louder, orange light appears in the watchtower, and I let out a strangled cry.

No, no, no.

Out of the top of the tower, Azog drags a struggling Fili. My breath catches in my throat.

"Oh, no." Bilbo's voice is small and faint.

"This one dies first," Azog spits in Black Speech, dangling Fili over the edge of the tower. Tears are already streaming down my face; there has to be a away out of this. There has to be.

"We'll all get through this, just you see," Fili had said. Now fulfill your promise Fili, please, please!

"Then the brother," Azog continues, "then you, Oakenshield. You will die last."

Fili wriths in Azog's grip. "Go!" he manages to get out.

Thorin looks the most heartbroken. He shakes his head, and the pain in his eyes and the fact that he doesn't move tells me that there's nothing we can do to save him.

"Run!" Fili screams.

And then Azog shoves his sword through his stomach.

"FILI! FILI!"

I know he's dead before Azog drops him. "Here ends your filthy bloodline," Azog growls.

 And I don't think, I just run. Fili is dead.

Fili is dead.

----------------

-gracie