Chapter 3

Hello again guys! I was sick so I got a lot done:)

----------------------------

Chapter 3

When Gandalf opened the door, I knew immediately that the dwarf standing in the doorway was the leader.

"Gandalf, you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. I wouldn't have found it at all if it hadn't been for that mark on the door," the dwarf said in a deep voice.

"Mark? There is no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!" Bilbo protested.

"There is a mark, I put it there myself. Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield." Gandalf said calmly.

"So this is the hobbit," Thorin said, looking at Bilbo. "Tell me, have you done much fighting?"

"Pardon me?"

"Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?" Thorin asked.

"Well, I have some skill at Conkers, if you must know, but I fail to see why that's relevant." Bilbo replied.

"Thought as much," Thorin said. "He looks more like a grocer than a burglar."

All the dwarves chuckled, and then followed Thorin as he went into the dining room. I brought him some soup, about the only thing left in the house, and he turned to look at me.

"And who are you?" he asked. "I'm Amariel, just Bilbo's friend." I said quickly before turning away.

"Does she have a special need here, Gandalf? I would rather not have extra ears listening to what's about to be spoken."

"Yes, she does," said Gandalf rather sternly. "She is our 'runner up,' I suppose you could say."

"Do not tell me that she is also to come along? She is a woman, Gandalf. I do not need another one to look after."

"She will need no looking after." Gandalf said firmly.

I heard Thorin's audible sigh and spun around to look at him. "I can hear you, you know." I snapped.

Thorin looked at me, and I realized I was taller than him. My eyebrows scrunched together for a moment, as did his.

"Gandalf, how is the hobbit taller than me?" Thorin asked suspiciously. Gandalf sighed.

"I figured we would come to this. She is not fully hobbit, her mother is an elf, who is currently living in Rivendell." Gandalf said, putting his head in his hands.

"Half elf? That does not calm matters, Gandalf. You know how I deal with elves."

"Let us discuss this later, shall we?" Gandalf proposed.

Thorin took a seat at the head of the table. I walked behind him and went to stand by Bilbo in the corner.

"What of the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked.

"Aye. Envoys of all seven kingdoms." Thorin replied.

"And what do the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?" asked Dwalin.

"They will not come. They say this quest is ours, and ours alone." Thorin said in disappointment.

"You're going on a quest?" Bilbo asked curiously. Leave it to Bilbo to ask the most obvious questions. I sighed.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light." Bilbo left and came back with a candle, just as Gandalf was pulling out a map.

"Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak." Gandalf said, explaining the map to Bilbo. I, too, had gotten up and was peering over Gandalf's shoulder at the old map.