Chapter 24

The journey back to the Shire seems to take no time at all, comparing how long it took us to get to the mountain. We're only attacked by orcs once, on the borders of Mirkwood (which we go around this time), a small pack that we take out easily. Our only other enemy is bad weather, and I'll admit I hated the times that it poured for hours straight and the ground shook with thunder and lightning. We stop at the troll cabe and retrieve the chest of gold that Bofur and the others buried, seeing as we took no gold or silver from Erebor. Soon enough small farms appear, Men and Hobbits can be seen out in the fields, and the grass turns to the bright green that can only be seen in the Shire.

We're home.

"Ah, the borders of the Shire," Gandalf says as he ties his horse to a tree and we walk slowly through a forest. "It is here I must leave you."

Bilbo stops walking and looks back at the old man who'd become our advisor in hard times and good friend. "That's a shame. I quite liked having a Wizard around. Seems they bring good luck," he says.

Gandalf's facial expressions suddenly change to more serious. "You don't really suppose, do you," he begins, and I can immediately tell where this is going, "that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck? Magic rings should not be used lightly, Bilbo. Don't take me for a fool, I know you found one, in the Goblin Tunnels. And I kept my eye on you ever since."

I look pointedly at Bilbo, who looks as if he's about to protest, and he sighs.

"Well, thank goodness," he says instead. There's a short pause, and Bilbo hefts his sack up enough to free his hand and extend it to Gandalf.

"Farewell, Gandalf," he says sadly, and Gandalf smiles before taking Bilbo's hand and shaking it. "Farewell," Gandalf returns.

"Goodbye, Gandalf," I say, and skip the formalities, hugging the greying wizard. He chuckles and pats me on the back. "Farewell, Amariel. I will send word to your parents, telling them what happened and that you are safe."

I nod, and Bilbo takes my hand and leads me away, towards the route home.

"You, uh, you needn't worry about that ring, I, uh, I lost it, during the battle. Fell out of my pocket," Bilbo says, looking back at Gandalf.

Gandalf looks at us skeptically. "You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you," he says, "but you're only quite a little fellow, in a wide world."

Bilbo looks at me nervously before turning away. I lightly touch the necklace around my neck, trusting that Thorin is still watching over me, just as he did when he was alive.

Finally. Hobbiton. I nearly cry at the sight of it. We've been gone for over a year, and I can't wait to see Addy and tell her all the wonderful adventures I've had. I skip up the path, going back to Bilbo's house with him before going back to my own. We pass a hobbit carrying a large box over his shoulder and Bilbo does a double take.

"Wait, that's my mother's glory box," he stutters. Another hobbit passed is, carrying a wooden chair. "And that's my dining chair..."

"Ah! Put that pouf down!" Bilbo shouts at another hobbit carrying his favorite plump pouf. "What is going on?"

What is going on? I look ahead and see a whole crowd up by Bilbo's house, and my confusion deepens.

"Hello, Mr. Bilbo!" another hobbit says cheerfully as he passes us. Then he falters. "You're not supposed to be here. And neither are you, Miss."

"What do you mean?" Bilbo asks suspiciously.

"On account of you two being presumed dead and all," the hobbit explains. Bilbo looks very taken aback.