Losing My Best Friends

Gemma P.O.V

The next evening ...

"Have you spoken to AJ since your conversation last night?"

"Nope. She hasn't pulled Hugo for a chat all day which is a positive thing," I tell Faye as I brush some bronzer onto my cheeks.

"I'm sure you'll both be fine it and will blow over," Sharon says. "Anyway, what dress should I wear? I've gotta be impressing Danny tonight!"

"Ooohhhh." Chloe coos. "What choices do you have?"

Nothing really interesting has happened today. The girls had a little debrief this morning on the daybed and Sharon told us all about her interest in the new boy Danny. From our date, I can see how perfectly fitted they are to each other. I just hope Danny feels the same way. I also told Lucinda and Millie about Hugo and me in the kitchen last night. I do not doubt that romantic moment was watched by millions at home.

"Blue?" Sharon holds up a maxi dress. It's a navy fabric that sparkles under the dressing room light. "Or red."

"Go blue. It's more sophisticated than the red one."

I pull on a little black dress with a scoop neckline. The dress hugs my curves perfectly and shows off my chest in the right way. It's one of the only dresses that make me feel completely confident in my body. I have a feeling that something important will happen tonight. I just don't know what yet.

After everyone has finished getting ready, I join Liam and Hugo in the kitchen. Lucinda is discussing her possibilities with Aaron.

"Should I go and chat with him?"

" You've got to put yourself out there," Hugo tells her. " Aaron fancies you anyway."

"Reallllly?"

"Yes, reallllly." Liam mimics, earning a giggle from everyone. "Now go and speak to him."

"Okay."

Once Lucinda has skipped off to try and find Aaron,  Hugo pulls me aside for a chat. Hand-in-hand he guides me to the fire pit. I can't help but feel anxious when he asks for a chat, as my past relationships have always made me think the worst. Hopefully, it's nothing too serious.

"Is everything okay?"

"Huh? Oh yeah. Everything is fine." Hugo assures me. "So I've just been thinking a lot about last night ... in the kitchen and whatnot."

"...right ... do you regret it?" The words fall from my mouth. Hugo shuffles closer to me and places a hand on my leg, pecking my temple.

"Not at all. I wanted to get your opinion on something."

"Okay?"

"How do you feel about... having sex ... in here?"

"Well if the time is right and it's with the right person then I would. How about you?"

"I feel the same. I think-"

Cutting our conversation short, the deadly notification rings through the air. Hugo and I scan across the Villa to spot Toby - the victim of the text message.

"What the heck?" I mutter. "What's going on?"

"Islanders. It is now time to recouple. Please gather around the fire pit immediately."

Oh no. The numbers aren't even. Another girl is going to go.

"I've got your back." Hugo hugs me into his side. "Don't worry, okay. As long as there are no big surprises, we'll be fine."