Chapter 1 - Eden

1

Eden

"Everyone, please raise your glass as we toast Eden on her new journey as she navigates the exciting corporate world of advertising." A few congratulatory whistles sound throughout the bar as Elle, my best friend, begins her toast. She's standing on the top of the bar with a cold beer in one hand and a Kamikaze shot in the other. She slowly pumps and lowers her hands, mimicking a quiet down motion, to continue her toast.

"Although we will all miss you here at Libra's, we wish you nothing but the best and may you kick ass at your new job as an advertising associate." She adds as she begins to sway a little, undoubtedly from the effects from the small amount of alcohol she's consumed but manages to regain her equilibrium to finish her toast.

For as long as I could remember, Elle had always been a light weight. During our early college days, on nights where we would celebrate the ending of a grueling test or semester, she'd pass out just after one glass of wine. When we took our drinking to the local bars and nightclubs, she'd slur her words or get lost in the crowd just after one shot. I only ever managed to get down two drinks before I found myself helping her out of the middle of a crowd before she did something she'd regret in the morning like, flashing some of the local college boys that went to Brooklyn college with us, or the rich corporate douchebags that found their way to one of the popular bars here in Brooklyn, looking for their nights fuck. After a while Elle and I decided to stay in, whether it was at her apartment or mines where it was much safer than cruising bars and night clubs.

Elle's boyfriend David stands near the bar, never letting her out of his sight. He's aware that his girlfriend isn't a pro drinker and has always been close by whenever Elle thought she could consume more than she could handle.

"Don't forget us little people as you climb your way to the top." She adds, just before letting off a loud wolf like howl. Everyone, including myself, scream and cheer as we all toss back the Kamikaze shot. It's more vodka than it is lemon juice and I know that's on purpose, courtesy of B.J., my former co-worker and tonight's bartender.

Before Elle could fall face forward off the bar, David scoops her up and carries her over towards the nearest barstool. He unscrews the lid off a water bottle and hands it to her. I turn, spotting my parents at one of the booths near the back of the intimate dive bar and begin to head towards them. Since they'd moved to Rochester shortly after I'd graduated from high school, I rarely got to see them except for holidays and the occasional one-week summer visit. I begin to stride towards them as a few of the patrons stop to congratulate me personally.

Leaving Libra's, my home for the past six years, had been harder than I thought it would be. If it weren't for this place, I wouldn't be the college graduate that I am today. Long days and nights pulling double shifts and working away my weekends was the only reason why I was able to pay for textbooks, my rent and part of my tuition.

***

After graduating high school, the small amount of money that my parents were able to put aside for my tuition was only enough for me to attend a two-year school. Which wasn't the worse thing in the world, accept I hadn't applied to any two-year schools and the deadline for applications for the current fall semester had passed. I'd gotten into every school I applied too, a few being Columbia University, Brooklyn College and Syracuse University, but I needed to put college on pause for the moment, in order to save up enough money to pay for tuition, books, transportation, expenses and my new apartment in Brooklyn. My parents hated my idea of taking a gap year but understood and supported my decision.