Chapter 5 - Eden

5

Eden

My day so far hadn't been the ideal day that I thought it would be.

First, I get stuck on an underground sweatbox, causing me to sweat through a perfectly good blouse. Then I get sprayed with water in the bathroom as I try to clean off the New York City grime from my skin, which causes me to be late for my first day of orientation. And if that isn't bad enough, I'm humiliated in front of my peers by the Human Resources director.

And then Wes walks in, a man who seems to believe that the world revolves around him. He strides through this orientation with his head in his phone or his eyes on my ass, as if he owns this damn building.

It is just my luck that I am paired with what seems like the only empty-headed douche bag among this group. As everyone takes notes and asks questions, Wes stands at the back of the group, obviously bored and annoyed that he's even here. If he's not texting, or taking a phone call, he's ogling my body as if I were his long-awaited midnight snack.

I close my eyes, annoyed that I'll probably have to spend the remainder of the day explaining to him the ins and outs of the office rules. I drag my tongue along my teeth and let out a frustrating breath.

My luck has been nothing short of shit today.

"These are the instructions on how to set up your work email and instant messenger. Once you are in your offices you should immediately activate your accounts that way you won't miss any companies' announcements. Also, this is the first line of communicating with your admins." Faith explains as she passes a white sheet of paper to each one of us. Everyone, including myself, place the list of instructions that we were just handed inside of the folder we were all holding. I watch as Faith approaches Wes and holds out the sheet of paper, he holds up a hand, not bothering to look up from his phone dismissing the paper with the list of instructions printed on it. Faith nods, not pressing him any further and turns back towards the group to continues with her speech.

You've got to be kidding me.

It is not enough that this jerk isn't taking any interests in the position itself, but he doesn't even pretend in front of the Human Resources Director and the Senior Advertising Executive.

Who the hell does this guy think he is?

Why did he even apply for this position? I'm sure there was some poor applicant who'd lost a spot as one of the interns because of him; an applicant that would be just as eager as the rest of us to be here.

And why did I get stuck with him?

As Faith begins to break off and show each paired associate their shared offices, I stand trying my damnedest to hold my shit together. I try to remember why I'm here and my end goal and it's enough for me to forget that I'm stuck with the lemon of the group. I peer over at him, and I'm surprised to see that his phone is tucked back inside his pants pocket. He hasn't noticed my staring at him so, I take the opportunity to give him a true once over.

And my God the man is gorgeous. Tall, at least six feet and some inches. His skin is a perfect mixed shade of gold and tan, resembling a man who's just returned from a luxury overseas beach vacation. His hair is dark, contrasting with his hazel-green eyes. His facial hair is equally dark, but it doesn't hide his strong jaw line and perfect pink lips. My eyes drop to his big hands that hangs by his sides. His thick, muscular thighs almost protrude through his slim fitting navy slacks, and his broad chest almost stretches the buttons on his burgundy collared shirt.