Chapter 12 - Eden

One week later...

I sit nervously at my desk with my leg bouncing uncontrollably underneath the table. I can't control my eyes from darting between Wes' office, that's currently sitting empty, and the time on my computer screen. It's 10:00am and Wes still hadn't shown up to work.

For the past week Wes had made the idea of showing up to work and on-time an option. An option that he took full advantage of. On Monday he graced us with his presence three hours after we were normally scheduled to be. On Tuesday and Wednesday, he left around lunch time. Never returning and yesterday he hadn't shown up at all, leaving me to continue to work on the pitch alone. Which I'd grown accustomed to and wasn't that awful since I'd changed my mind over eight times before deciding on a slogan.

With Wes' absence and my growing anxiety as the meeting for the pitch grew closer and closer, I needed to find something else to fill my time, unless I was going to change my mind for the ninth time, and I didn't want to go there.

Which is why on Thursday as his office sat dark and empty, I found myself on Google, with Wes on my brain once again. I move my cursor over the search bar and typed in Mr. Wesley Connor Sr. My finger hovered over the enter key, wondering if Googling Mr. Connor would come back to bite me in the ass later. I blow out a breath and decide that my research of Mr. Connor, was for a good cause and not my curiosity at wanting to know about his son.

I hit the enter key, and it doesn't take long to find an older article that depicted Mr. Connor's start in the advertising business. I click the link and begin to read the information before me.

***

Mr. Connor Sr. and his father, Mr. Philip Connor, founded the company right after Mr. Connor Sr. graduated high school. He attended LaGuardia community college in the mid 70's, presumably right after the college became established. He'd taken a few courses that was offered during that time, but he found that college wasn't exactly what he thought it would be and ultimately never finished. He dropped out just after two semesters, taking the money he'd planned on using for college as his startup cost to start a small advertising company.

He would travel on foot, visiting small businesses such as car washes, daycares, and cleaners that were on the cusp of closing their doors due to the lack of profit over the years and informed them about the art of advertising. Mr. Connor made such a name for himself in the small neighborhood of Rosedale, Queens NY, that other small businesses throughout the surrounding Queens area started to seek out his services. Eventually small, medium, and large businesses within the tri-state area, became the reason why Mr. Connor is the success that he is today.

Mr. Connor met his wife, Liv Christensen, while visiting one of the car wash establishments that he'd help grow. Liv had abruptly pulled her sputtering baby blue 78' Volkswagen, into a horizontal park, causing her to occupy two parking spaces. Mr. Connor was just leaving a meeting with the owners and witnessed, what he described as – "a dark-haired beauty who was hellbent on fixing her car". Liv was tucked under the hood of her car, cursing, and kicking the grill of her Volkswagen.

"Can I help you?" He asked her. Liv immediately turned to find a man dressed in a well-tailored business suit walking towards her. She eyed him suspiciously then chuckled. No man dressed in an expensive three-piece suit in the middle of summer could hardly help her fix her car. He was too well put together and pretty for her, and probably couldn't tell her where her gas tank was located. Her Volkswagen had been on the fritz for some time now, but it was her only means of transportation and she didn't have enough money to get a professional to take a look at it.