Some Old Bonds

"Mishti di"

"Kunal, Rohit"

The trio stood there shocked while the others gave them confused gaze.

"Di, kitne saal ho gaye na aapse milke?" said Kunal

"Haan Kunal, almost 6 years ho gaye honge." said Rohit

Hearing this, her face paled, but she recovered quickly. Abir noticed the change in her expressions, but shrugged it off when she plastered a smile on her face.

"Yes guys, it's been a long time. Lekin tum dono yahan kaise?"

"Woh hum yahan-"

"Woh dono mujhe lene aaye hain." came a voice from behind Mishti cutting off Kunal.
The trio turned see the whole family along with Abir, eyeing them curiously.

"Yeh dono mere bhai hain. Yeh Kunal" pointing at Kunal "aur yeh Rohit" pointing at Rohit.

"Namaste" they said in unison addressing others.

"Beta tum dono wahan khade kyon ho? Andar aa jao" said Rajashri.

They came inside and took a seat near Abir.

Once they settled down, Abir asked the question that was in everyone's mind.
"Tum dono Mishti ko kaise jante ho?" asked Abir eyeing Kunal and Rohit while secretly glancing at Mishti.

"Woh bhai hum ek hi college mein the. Matlab jab hum first year mein tha tab di third year student tha." said Rohit

"Lekin di aap fourth year mein college nahi aaye the? Kuch hua tha kya?" asked Kunal
She visibly paled and her breathing became uneven.
Nishant moved towards her and squeezed her palm silently giving her some sort of strength. Abir noticed the exchange between them but chose to remain silent.

"Woh...woh mera-"

"Woh Mishti ka accident ho gaya tha. Isiliye ghar se hi course complete kiya." answered Nishant. She sighed in relief and tried to relax.

"Oh acha. Humhe nahi pata tha." said Rohit

Abir couldn't believe Nishant's reply. He intently gazed at Mishti and noticed her paled state. As if feeling Abir's gaze, Mishti looked at him and their eyes locked with each other. He could see an ocean of emotions in her black orbs but the most prominent one was pain and fear. She couldn't avert her eyes from his. She felt as if he is trying to break through her facade, break the walls around her soul so he can see the real her. His gaze was never uncomfortable or creepy instead it was comforting for her.
She tightened her hold on Nishant's palm silently asking him to divert the attention from her.

"Agar tum dono Mishti ko jante ho tho Varun ko bhi jante honge right?" asked Nishant diverting everyone's attention to him.

Hearing a familiar name, Abir's attention turned to Kunal and Rohit waiting for their reply.

"Haan janta hoon. Infact Abir bhai bhi jante hain Varun bhai ko." said Rohit

"Bhai aapko yaad hain, aapka schoolmate Varun Mehta? Kayi baar aapke saath hamare ghar mein bhi aaye the." said Kunal

"Haan mein janta hoon Varun ko. Lekin bohot saal ho gaye usse milke."

Abir's eyes lit up remembering his school best friend. He hadn't heard from him since they graduated from school neither Abir had the time to find him. After graduating, Abir's only focus was on taking over the business from his Dadi giving her the much needed rest.
Abir was pulled out of his thoughts hearing Ketki's voice,

"Acha. Varun hamara neighbour hain. Aap log rukhiye mein bulatha hoon Varun ko." Saying this she practically ran towards the front door excitedly, but stopped hearing Ritika's voice.