Past Relations

"Beta tum Karishma aur Naman ki beti ho?"

Mishti stared at Sumitra dumbfounded.

"Ji. But how do you know them?" asked Mishti sharing a look with Nishant.

"Woh mera beta Mehul matlab Abir ke Papa aur Naman dono childhood friends the." stuttered out Sumitra nervously. But her nervousness didn't go unnoticed by Abir.

"Dadi why are you nervous?" questioned Abir looking at her intently

Sumitra glanced at Parul quickly before facing Abir. He saw Parul tense up at this.

"Mein kaha nervous hoon. I am fine."

"Dadi jhoot math boliye. Aap kuch chupa rahi hain? I know it. Hum dono ke parents ab is duniya mein nahi hain. So jo bhi baat hain hame batayiye." demanded Abir

Sumitra knew that she has no way out other than telling the truth. She didn't have any problem sharing it with her kids. But telling Mishti was not her place.

"Abir tumhe batane mein mujhe koyi problem nahi hain, lekin Mishti ko batana mera kaam nahi hain."

"Ma'am aap batayiye. Mujhe sunne mein koyi problem nahi hain." answered Mishti.

"Teek hain. As I said your fathers were childhood friends. Shaurya was also a part of it. Jab sab apne apne company mein kaam karne lage, tab teenon companies ko merge karke ek karna chahte the. They even started working on it. At that time, the headquarters of all the three companies was in Rajkot. They wanted to merge them and have the headquarters at Mumbai. Mishti your parents died in a plane crash right?" asked Sumitra looking at Mishti

"Haan. It was a plane crash. About 16 years ago." answered a confused Mishti

Wheels were turning in Abir's head upon hearing her reply. He figured out what his Dadi was going to say and looked at her for confirmation who blinked her eyes in reply confirming his suspicion.

"It was not a normal plane crash Mishti. In fact it was a chartered flight. Your parents, Abir's parents, my youngest son, Shaurya and his wife were the passengers. They died along with the flight staff and the captain. Only the co-pilot survived the crash. They were all on their way to an investors meeting regarding the merging. That's how I know your parents."

To say that they were shocked would be an understatement.
So many questions were popping in the youngsters' head, but the most prominent one was why this fact was hidden from them? .
Feeling suffocatted after thinking about all of this, Mishti left from the room muttering she wants to be alone to Nishant.

Slowly everyone left the room leaving behind Abir and Sumitra.
Sumitra stared at her grandson waiting for his questions and she was determined to answer them all.

"Why did you hide this from me?"questioned Abir with an emotionless face

"Abir I know what I did was wrong. You had the right to know about this. But I need you to listen to my reasons before you judge me." requested Sumitra

Abir nodded urging her to continue.

"As you know your grandfather died when our company was at its early-stage. I remember many people asking me to sell our company over to others. Some of them even called it a curse. My kids lost their father at a very young age just like you. But still I couldn't sell our company. It was your grandfather's dream. I couldn't do it to the love of my life."

By this time both of them were in tears.
Sumitra had a faraway look in her eyes while reminiscing her past which held painful memories.

She took a deep breath and continued,
"A few of our friends were there to help me and I took care of our business until your father and uncle were ready to take over from me. When they decided to merge the companies they faced some issues from the beginning itself. I don't know the full details because they mostly kept it to themselves. And then came that fateful day."