eight

AND SO, IN THE SUMMER, THE MONTH OF JUNE, ON THE CALENDARS OF ONLY BIRTHDAYS AND MEETINGS, PERMENATELY MARKED AN ANNIVERSARY DATE OF THE DAY BAJI HAD CREATED THEIR FUTURE

AND SO, IN THE SUMMER, THE MONTH OF JUNE, ON THE CALENDARS OF ONLY BIRTHDAYS AND MEETINGS, PERMENATELY MARKED AN ANNIVERSARY DATE OF THE DAY BAJI HAD CREATED THEIR FUTURE. Anari framed the picture she had taken on her phone and printed it out, hanging it on the dark overcasting shadows in the corner of her room.

Hope shone just a little bit brighter, with a sky that watched them, gifting a day of partly cloudy skies, a day for an outing.

But Anari didn't feel like getting out of bed. Instead she laid there, staring at the small fragments of light that peeked through her heavy weighted curtains. Picking up the small aquamarine flip phone that rested on her chipped white night-stand, attached to it was a charm.

It was a small leather white charm, shaped in the correlation of an omamari. Everyone got different charms, but Anari specifically picked out Mikey after his five minutes of nagging. It had taken her some time, due to the fact that she had given it much thought, wanting it to be special.

"How about .. this one?" The charm was of an ink black base with intricate shamrock green linings, in the center, written in gold print kanji with a wreath over it, were the characters of good luck as she smiled at the small item. "If I pick out this charm for you .. and buy it for you, I hope every ounce of luck I place into this, will follow you forever, and it'll help you achieve all of the dreams and all of the goals you ever wished for."

"And I'll be with you every step of the way as long as you have this with you. I'll support your decisions, and be by your side."

Even Mikey wasn't immune to Anari's every-once-in-a-while acts of tender sentimental genuinity. So even he grinned like an idiot, accepting the charm, pulling one from behind his back as well, noticing Anari had been receiving trouble in finding her own trinket, so using the time she used to pick out his, he had done the same.

The little spectacles in the girl's seafoam green-blue eyes taunted around like the freckles of a fresh blue dotted robin's egg as she let out a sound of bewilderment and excitement altogether. "Waa .. It's perfect ..!"

Mikey who squatted down to her semi-height, grinned, resting his chin atop the palm of his hands. "It's a protection charm~ So even if I'm not with you, this thing will definitely protect you until I get there and kick their asses. It'll protect you all the way until I win this bet, and when I do win this bet, I'll make a new promise in placement of this charm on this finger." He grabbed her hand, waving around her ring finger.

It had only taken a moments notice for Anari's ears to tint red. "Don't say misleading things like that!"

"Who said it was misleading? It was probably the exact idea you had in mind." Mikey pat her head, helping her stand up as they headed to the register, Mikey's hand in hers, tugging her along.

The memory was burned, engraved into every crevice of the brunette's mind as she slapped her cheeks.

Anari didn't know why Mikey portrayed her as a butterfly .. but the charm was wrapped and adorned in blue morpho butterflies, almost, just almost matching the color of her eyes as they were outlined in a blazing medallion lining.