thirteen

A PRESENCE GROWN SO ACCUSTOMED THAT SHE'D BECOME A VIRTUE OF LIFE, ONLY TO DISAPPEAR, SITTING IN A FIELD OF SELF DEPICTED ASPHODELS, AN ETERNAL NOTHINGNESS IN WHICH HER HEAD EXISTED WITHIN, SWIMMING IN A SHALLOW RESOLUTE DEEP END

It had been a long quiet drawn out morning, dews of morning sunshine fell upon her slightly tanner alabaster skin now, no longer too pale devoid of vitamins. She dusted the home in which she frequently left unoccupied. Scrubbed the toilets and washed dishes for some nearby restaurants in which were owned by elderly couples that paid her rather well, due to sympathy.

And like the older days, before Mikey came into the picture-- before the Tokyo Manjirou gang was even formed, it was Anari, Draken and Mitsuya.

But the girl missed her cousin in a way that couldn't be explained. Like she missed the arguments they used to have as children, but now, after looking after everyone for so long, especially Mikey .. he had grown more mature and ever more serious.

They couldn't have the expressive conversations they used to without Draken having a straight face. He was the only one who didn't treat her normally after Hiro had died. As if he were sure, absolutely positive, that Anari placed a façade for everyone to look at.

But he was just wrong.

"It's like you want there to be something wrong with me!" Anari slammed the glass jar of jam onto the counter top as she unloaded the groceries just bought from the store with Draken, but Mitsuya grabbed her wrist lightly.

"What're you yapping about?" Draken muttered, taking a seat on the bar stool.

After she'd gotten Draken to pierce her ears, it was the small little actions. Calling her at night, or calling her when there were thunderstorms. As if he'd assume she'd have a breakdown or be frightened of loud claps of thunder and hide in the closet and cry.

But she always declined his calls, always in the Sano home, never at her own.

Mitsuya was confused, or rather conflicted, how she nitpicked everything. Anari was as a little sister to him as much as his own.

There was a sudden ignition spark of this argument on the way home. And it wasn't a carefree one. But rather, it started by Draken asking the younger girl if she was alright out of the blue.

Anari had been okay, she always had been. Mitsuya never saw anything wrong, neither did Mikey or Emma, the people who spent the most time with her these days.

"Are you waiting for me to fall apart? The more you ask, the more you make me confused and make me thing that there is  something wrong with me after all! Is it hard to accept that you're wrong?" Anari hated being the one that was looked down upon, she'd rather hold the upper hand like in the past, bullying Draken due to her higher intellect at the time.

"You're yelling. Where did your snarky comments go?" Draken popped open a can of soda and propped his elbows together, staring at the girl dully.

Anari curled a fist. The fight had accumulated so quickly, starting from zero, going all the way up to a heat that even caused the ice cubes left out by Anari to melt even faster. "I grew older, I changed, and so did you, so did Mitsuya." Anari wasn't the most important person in Draken's life anymore.