Johzenji's captain

Sugawara's eyes were following clock arrows, as they slowly counted passing minutes. It was time for everyone to sleep, however something wasn't right. Setter glanced over the room, where most of the boys were already peacefully snoring, with just a few of them still quietly chitchatting. Two people were absent though: Tsukishima and Yamaguchi. Has he decided to stay with Tsukishima till the end of the practice?  Sugawara furrowed his eyebrows in disbelief. Boy's instincts were telling him that something was off, but he couldn't guess what exactly. Yamaguchi looked too tired to stay there and watch boys play, let alone practicing with them. I bet he would have fallen asleep by now if he was here. Setter bit his lower lip, looking outside the window.

About another half an hour passed, before clicking of the door attracted Sugawara's attention. Tsukishima slowly walked into the room, yawning and running fingers through his blonde hair. He took off his jersey with a deep sigh, before tossing it to the futon. Blonde wanted to go and take a quick shower, when Sugawara's question stopped him.

"Oi, Tsukishima," setter felt a knot tighten somewhere deep down his stomach, seeing him come back alone, "where's Yamaguchi?"

"Tch, how would I know?" blonde rolled his eyes. Of course, Tsukishima expected to see his boyfriend in this exact room, lying on the futon. When, after noticing him, Yamaguchi would greet him with a warm hug and start apologizing with puppy eyes, like he always did. However now everything was different. Yamaguchi's futon was lying empty on the floor beside his. Freckled boy's clothes were messily tugged into his training bag and tossed to the side. Tsukishima arched an eyebrow, "maybe he went to get some fresh air or something?" Situation felt odd, but he was too exhausted to think more about it.

"Wasn't he with you all this time?" Daichi walked up to the boys. Captain's words were laced with worrying, which made Sugawara tense up.

"Well..." Tsukishima drawled, "he was, but left right after I got back to practice." Blonde hesitated for a minute, remembering what happened. "I thought Yams went here." Tsukishima looked at other teammates. Sugawara and Ennoshita were in the room, so there was no way Yamaguchi is with someone else. He sighed in delight. "I bet he's wandering somewhere again. Taking a break. He'll be back soon."

Sugawara and Daichi examined Tsukishima's expressionless face for a while, before setter spoke up, "okay then, I'm off for some water," he said calmly, "I'll be too lazy to go in the morning," he chuckled, "you all go to sleep! It's pretty late already."

A couple of dissatisfied whines could be heard from the other corner of the room, but it didn't bother Sugawara much. His mind was already in a different place. Boy glanced at Daichi, with his eyes full of worry. Captain nodded. "I know you'll handle this," he mouthed and turned around to deal with everyone else. Setter smiled with gratitude for understanding, before taking his jersey and walking up to the door.

Sugawara sighed heavily, after door closed behind him. Boy took his phone out and did the first thing that came to mind. He dialed Yamaguchi's number, patiently waiting for the reply. However instead of it, he got only a 'The number you have dialed is currently not in service' alert. Damn it. Sugawara looked around, putting his phone back. It's useless. He took a minute to think of every possible place Yamaguchi could be at. Considering that he didn't come to Ennoshita or Sugawara himself, meant that boy wouldn't bother any other team nor he would go to the coach. Even if something would happen, Yamaguchi was way too humble to bother anyone at this hour. Come on, what the hell has happened? Setter swallowed soundly, before deciding to search bathrooms and cafeteria. Empty. Could have guessed that much. He isn't a little girl to hide in there. Sugawara clicked his tongue in frustration and checked his phone again.

2 new messages
Daichi: Did you find him?
Daichi: Is everything alright?

Setter opened their chat and texted a quick 'nah', followed by 'still looking', and put the phone back into the pocket. Well, there are not many options left. He zipped up his jersey and went to the main entry. "I swear, if I'll find you stargazing somewhere, as you like to do, I'll make you do dives while everyone will be playing," he chuckled, opening the door.

Sugawara shivered a the sudden touch of the cold night wind. He stood still for a while, getting used to the temperature. Everything around was calm and quiet. Setter breathed in fresh air, making himself calm down. He was a third year, so he must act accordingly. Boy collected his thoughts and looked around, when a sudden roaring of the car engine appeared from nowhere. "Huh?" he squinted his eyes and saw a car approaching the camp gates. It stopped right beside them, with its breaks squeaking. It was dark but dim moonlight allowed Sugawara to see someone rushing out of the car and slamming the door behind him. Car lights flickered and the man went running towards the setter. "Freckles?!" familiar voice almost shouted.

Freckles? Yamaguchi? "No, that's Sugawara," setter tilted his head in confusion, "and you are...?" he arched an eyebrow, trying to not look so stunned.

"Terushima," boy leaned his palms on his knees, panting, "Terushima Yuuji," he repeated and met Sugawara's confused gaze.

Ah, sure, Yamaguchi told me something about becoming friends with him after that match in Sendai... Setters eyes explored Johzenji's captain's messy appearance while the other steadied his breath. Hair tussled, strands flying here and there, falling onto his eyes. Jacket was falling down his shoulder, exposing something resembling sleepwear. And it really was. Sugawara hardly held back a chuckle, when he saw matching shorts. Long socks and his halfway tied sneakers finished Terushima's 'I jumped out of my bed five minutes ago' look. Setter would think that he ran off from the sleepover while being wasted drunk, however it wasn't the case here. This thought disappeared as soon as he looked into captain's eyes. They were filled with anxiety, almost panic.

"Where's Yams? Is he alright? What happened?" questions flew out too fast for Sugawara to comprehend. Boy's voice was trembling dangerously, "Please, tell me what happened."

Yams? Where they always this close?  Setter put hands on Terushima's shoulders, "calm down," he gently fixed boy's jacket, "clean up a little first." Johzenji's captain sighed, but did what was told, squatting to tie his shoes. His hands were shaking, however it was obvious he tried his best to calm down. Boy combed his hair, sliding fingers through blonde strands and looked back at Sugawara, "so?"

Setter smiled and tried to quickly explain the situation. He was afraid that Terushima, already being familiar with his personality from Sendai's game, won't let him speak freely. However, surprisingly, captain listened carefully without interrupting. "That's all I know and that's why I was here when you pulled up," Sugawara finished, waiting for boy's reaction.

"Tsukishima... this bastard," Terushima clenched his fists, trying to keep his emotions under control, "thought so." Anger in his eyes faded as something new pushed it away. Something, that Sugawara couldn't understand.

"What are you talking about?" setter felt uneasiness spreading over his body. He guessed that this whole situation might have something to do with Tsukishima, but seeing how calm and collected he came back, changed his mind.

Terushima arched an eyebrow in surprise. Boy didn't know that only he was aware of the situation that was going on between those two. "Tsukishima was always the reason Yams called me crying..." captain sighed, "I met with him or talked for hours to calm him down."

"Calling you?" Sugawara listened carefully, trying to connect everything together in a logical way, "That's why you're here this late?" Setter felt his chest tighten. So I was right after all... something did happen.

Terushima nodded, "but this time felt different..." he bit his lip, trying to find a better way to explain himself. Boy pulled out his phone and opened his chat with Yamaguchi, handing it to Sugawara, and continued, "it must have been much worse than any time before, since he didn't answer me afterwards." Johzenji's captain followed setter's changing expressions. He already knew that this person cared about Yamaguchi. Boy told him a lot about Sugawara, so decided to tell everything that could help right now. "He wouldn't have texted me if it wasn't something serious, since Yams has you here," a long shaky sigh escaped Terushima's lips, "he could ask you, but he didn't..."

Sugawara handed back captain's phone, "so that's how it is..." He clicked his tongue, thoughts rushing through his head. There were so many questions setter wanted to ask, but decided to leave it for later. Now that he has told me this... Boy put a hand on Terushima's shoulder, "I might know where Yamaguchi can be."

A spark of hope crossed Terushima's eyes, "you do?"

Sugawara nodded, "this way, follow me."