Chapter 5

Author's note:
Remember, Liz's thoughts are in italics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am startled awake by the alarm clock but somehow I'm still tired. I'm thinking about what had happened between Evan and me last night. But no matter how tired I am, I have to get out of bed now. Breakfast is about to start and we want to go to another beach early today because it's a long drive.

I get out of bed and put on a simple pair of shorts and a tank top. I put my hair in a low bun. I spray on my deodorant and grab my sunglasses. Mom and Dad are already waiting for me. We walk to breakfast and things go exactly as they did yesterday. We get drinks and go get our food.

After a while, Evan and his parents also walk in. They sit down at the table next to us. Our parents immediately start a pleasant conversation. And so do Evan and I. His parents ask what our plans are for today. "We want to go to Kokkari. There's a nice beach there with a bar. What about you guys?" my mom says. "How nice, we have to check that out too later this week. We don't have any plans for today yet" his mother says. My parents look at each other and before I know it my father says "If you feel like it you can come along". A whole day with Evan on the beach. There is nothing better than that. "Seems like a nice idea!" his mother says.
Evan and I immediately get a smile on our faces as soon as our parents discuss the plans. 

When we're all done eating, we walk back to our rooms and all get ready.
I'm wearing a black bikini and a black linen dress. I put my hair in a messy bun, pack my bag and go outside. The nice thing about our hotel is that we are next to the airport so the planes come over our hotel. Evan also walks out and comes to sit with me. Suddenly we hear the engines of a plane. Evan stands up and says "come with me Liz, let's take a look!". I quickly walk after him. There is a Transavia plane from probably the Netherlands. As it takes off it passes right over us. "Sweetheart's we are ready! Are you guys coming?" his mother suddenly says.

We walk back, grab our bags and walk to the cars. It's about a half-hour drive. We drive through areas with nice villas and we also pass Samos town. There are large refugee camps in the mountains there.
Once we arrive in Kokkari we have to walk about 7 minutes to the beach. Through narrow streets and past blue houses.

We take beach beds at the water's edge.  Evan and I take an umbrella together. We put our stuff down and walk into the sea. It's getting very hot so a little coolness is nice. 

Around lunchtime, we go to the bar to get some sandwiches. There is nice music on and everyone is talking to each other. After dinner, we go back to our place. Our parents go into the water and in the meantime, I put on my suntan lotion. "Should I do your back?" asks Evan. "If you want to, that would be nice" I answer him. His warm hands on my back, make me feel even warmer than I already was. When he's done I get a snap from Lea. This is my chance. 

She sends a picture of the clothes she bought today. I'm just about to take a picture when suddenly Evan says "Can I be on the photo too?" I take a picture of us together and before I send it he says "shouldn't you save it?". "I already did that a moment, this is a picture I want to look at for a while," I tell him. 

It looks a bit like:

I send the picture to Lea and I get a response back that I saw coming

I send the picture to Lea and I get a response back that I saw coming. "He's cute." Gosh, Lea as if I didn't already know that. 

Around 4:30 we packed up our stuff and headed back to the cars. On the road, we stop at a supermarket for some water. We take one of those big bottles and lots of little bottles. We also drive by the local bakery for galaktoboureko. That is a real Greek delicacy that you should eat if you come to Greece. 

When we arrive back at the hotel, everything goes the same as usual. We put our stuff in the rooms and go to the beach for some time. Evan and I go into the sea together. When we get in, Evan jokingly throws water in my face. I do it back and that started a water fight. We get closer and closer to each other and suddenly Evan hugs me. He starts tickling me and that's something I cannot stand. I break free from his arms and swim away laughing. He comes up behind me and grabs my hand after which he pulls me back into his arms. "You're not going to do it again okay!" I say to him. "We'll see about that," he says with a grin on his face. "No really, don't do it again!" I yell as he hugs me tighter. "I'm not going to do it again honey," he says softly. Omg did he just call me honey?! There's no way. Oh my god. Damn Liz just calm down. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where are we eating tonight?" I ask as we all walk into town. "We can go to "Four Seasons"" suggests Evan's father. The food there is always good so it is often the question if there is still room. Today we were lucky there is still a table free for six. After dinner you always get a kind of liqueur. Evan and I aren't allowed to drink this yet, but we drink it with our parents so it's okay. 

It's really cozy. Meanwhile, we sat down at a bar on the boulevard. Evan and I have really nice chats and our parent are having a great time too. "My mom sends an old class picture from grade 9" Evan's mom suddenly says and shows us all the picture. "That's when it clicked, right my dear" says his father. My mother is looking at the picture very intently and suddenly says, "maybe I am going crazy but I think that, that is me standing there in front of you". My father now takes a good look at the picture as well and says "darling, you are not going crazy, that is both of us". Everyone looks at each other, startled. "You guys already knew each other?!" Evan and I exclaim at the same time. Suddenly everything falls into place. Our parents had known each other since elementary school. "Yes apparently we all knew each other already. We were best friends in elementary school if I remember correctly. Your mom moved away when we were in grade 9 so our friendship fell apart. We never saw each other after that so obviously we didn't recognized each other" explains Evan's father.

Throughout the evening, our parents tell us stories from the past. They never had any more contact because they were so young when the group fell apart. It's really a complete coincidence that we've run into each other like this. Meanwhile, Evan sits with an arm around my waist. I don't know when he did that but I am so comfortable with it that I didn't even notice.

Around an hour or 11.30 pm we are on our way back to our hotel. Our parents are still telling stories about when they where young and they are super fun to listen to. Evan's mom has asked her mom for more pictures so we will see that tomorrow. I'm so tired that I am yawning the whole time. "You're tired huh" says Evan and puts an arm around me. "Mhm" I respond, way too tired to walk any more. Once we get back to the room I give Evan and hug and we say good night.

The moment my head hits my pillow I immediately fall asleep.