Chapter Five

Song: Talking to the Moon by Bruno Mars cover sung by Ashley Marina.
------------------------------------------------------------
Mel's POV

Sam let me settle into his bedroom in the main packhouse while he did some work. His walls are a light grey and the floor a grey distressed wood. The bed has grey sheets and a black comforter, that is so soft. There is a large rectangular window that overlooks the pack grounds. I like sitting here watching the pack go on about their daily lives. I also like to watch the birds fly by. I imagine what it would be like to be able to fly. As I lay on the couch facing the window, I watched Sam walk towards the pack house. It has only been a day since he rescued me but It feels longer. I know when a wolf finds its mate it's supposed to be like you've known each other all your life as cliche as that sounds. I do feel the pull and connection towards him but I've been sheltered so long that I'm not sure I should open up so soon... But on the other hand, he is the first person to show me kindness and stand up for me. I love how concerned and gentle he is with me. And of course, I know he is supposed to be that way. That is the way. He has found his mate, who will help lead the pack with him. The bedroom door creaks open.

"Mel?" Sam asks.

"Yes, Sam?" I stay seated on the couch and listen to his footsteps come closer.

"How are you feeling, my love?" He reaches over the back of the couch to play with my hair. I flinch slightly. I lean my head back to see his face and I smile.

"I'm okay Sam, Just adjusting to my new life in the outside world." I watch his face change.

"I'm glad you are enjoying yourself so far Mel, but..." He pauses. "I would like to have the pack doctor check your health if you're up to it?"

" Sure. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sat in two chairs that were by the door to the exam room. I wasn't sure what to expect since I'd never been to the doctor before. I held on tight to Sam's hand as the doctor came out to usher us into the exam room. I noticed the doctor's name tag read Dr. Kane. For some reason, that name sounded familiar. Dr. Kane sat in his chair that he wheeled over toward the table.

"Alright, go ahead and hop on up on the exam table." Dr. Kane patted the table. I looked up nervously at Sam and he gave me a reassuring nod. I try to climb my way up onto the exam table but fail.
"Do you need help, Mel?" Sam asks.
"Please," I whisper a bit embarrassed. Sam lifts me onto the exam table and I hold my own hands in my lap to find some comfort. Sam sat in a chair to the right of me and watched me intently. "Okay, Melody I'm Dr. Kane and I'll be doing a normal physical on you today. Do you have any questions?" I glance at Sam and frown. 

"Dr. Kane, Mel has never been to a proper doctor before could you please explain everything you do? I think it will help keep him calm."

"Of course, anything to keep you comfortable Mel. " Dr. Kane smiled. Sam reached for my hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. " Alright, Mel. I'm going to use this stethoscope," He pointed to the thing looped around his neck. "To listen to your heart first and then your lungs, okay? " I nodded. " I will have to lift your shirt a bit and it will be cold. " He lifted my shirt slightly and I jumped a bit but he pressed the round end to my chest where I assumed my heart is; listening for a minute. "Your heart sounds fine, healthy." He took the rounded end away from my chest and put it on my back.
"Oh!" I yelp.

"Sorry Mel, I know it's cold. Please breathe in." I took a deep breath in. "Great now out." I let it out. "Good, good. Now since you're an omega..." Dr. Kane paused. "I  am going to have to do an ultrasound and check out your reproductive organs. Are you comfortable with that? My eyes widened and I looked at Sam shaking my head no. Sam turns to Dr. Kane.

"Mel has endured... some abuse from his last Alpha and I'm not too sure a reproductive exam would do him any good mentally. I think the ultrasound would be okay if Mel is comfortable." Sam explained to the Doctor.

"Ah, I see Alpha." The Doctor nods toward Sam. "Well, Mel are you up for an external ultrasound? Dr. Kane rolls over in his chair to a drawer holding up a bottle. "I would put this gel on your lower tummy, it is also a bit cold, and then I would use it, " He rolls back over to me and reaches to the left on a cart. "This wand and glide it across your stomach where the gel would be." He smiles lightly at me as if he is trying to say he is sorry with his eyes. I just look at Sam and then back to Dr. Kane and nod once more.

Sam's Pov

The Doctor took me out of the room to speak to me.

"It is apparent that he has suffered sexual and mental abuse previously. The bruises around his neck are very recent. The others on his body are not and will heal just fine. He is not healing at our normal wolf healing speed because he hasn't shifted." Dr. Kane finished.

" Would he benefit if he were to shift now? " I ask.

" It is a possibility it could help, but there's also a possibility it might hurt him as of right now. " Dr. Kane's eye filled with a sorrowful look.

"Okay... And.. and what about the ultrasound? " I clenched my fist at the thought of any more bad news.

"I can confirm he is fixed, it can't be undone. But everything looks good, no concerns. Since I couldn't do the exam I can't confirm if he has tearing or needs to be tested for STIs."

"He needs to be tested for STIs. I want him to be healthy and of course to be safe." Dr. Kane nods in agreement with me.

"We can do a blood, urine, or swab test. Whatever Mel is most comfortable with. You should go talk to your mate. " He put his hand on my shoulder for a moment and walked off to his office. I shake off the uneasy feeling and walk back into the room that Mel was in.

"Hey, Mel." I go to take his hand and hold it in mine.

"You're not going to tell me I'm dying, are you? Mel squeezed my hand.

"No, you're not dying. You're perfectly fine my dear." I push some of his hair out of his eyes. "The Doctor and I would like to test you for STIs though." Mel seemed to understand what I was saying, I could see him processing my words.

" Okay." He breathed.

------------------------------------------------------------
This was a filler chapter for sure. So sorry 😅 better chapters coming soon.