10.

"Your brother?" Rebecca asked "You never mentioned a brother" she shook her head

"He's nonexistent" Colby stood up from the chair he was sitting in and walked around the room

"Well he's pretty existent enough to drug me and kill our baby" she stated and he froze

He looked at her in silence as she stared at him with the same expression.

"What?" She asked

"You said Our baby" he said "Not My baby.." He shook his head "You've never referred to the baby as ours"

"That is what you're the most worried about in this situation?!" She yelled "I could have died!"

"I know that!" He yelled right back "and trust me he's not going to get away with it!"

There was a knock at the door and a nurse walked in slowly.

"I'm sorry to interrupt whatever argument is going on in here but we can hear you in the hallway" she said and Colby glared at her

"Is that all you came in here for?" He asked

"Colby.." Rebecca shook her head at him

"I've come in to hook Miss Quin up to another bag of fluids to flush the toxins out of her system" she held the bag up "Once these are finished you should be discharged and able to go home as long as you have no further side effects"

"What about the baby.. its still in there" Colby pointed to the redhead

"The uterus lining and all other contents will expel in the due time" the nurse stated

"You're just going to send her home and let this happen on its own.."

"It will feel like period cramping, extreme at times.. that is your uterus contracting and then you will start to notice the bleeding which will be heavy and you should pass a few clots and for up to two weeks you can lightly bleed and have some cramping" the nurse explained, she was looking straight at Rebecca instead of Colby which he wasn't taking to kindly to

After the nurse hooked up the bag of fluid to her IV, she checked vital signs and left the room without another word.

"Why didn't she look at me the entire time she was explaining any of that?"

"Seriously?" Rebecca questioned "You're not the one that has to go through it" she shook her head

The next few days at Colby's house were torture. It felt like Rebecca was being suffocated by Colby's constant checking up on her, Maria trying to force food to her, Kent coming in with new information about Brandon every few hours.

It was late, too late for her to be awake but here she was.. awake and not able to fall back to sleep in the slightest.

She made her way quietly down the stairs to keep from disturbing anyone else.

The blanket she had wrapped around herself was dragging on the marble floor and she practically jumped out of her skin when she heard his voice.

"Hey"

"Colby" she said with her hand over her heart "Jesus" she took a deep breath "Don't do that"

"Don't say Hi?" He questioned "Why are you awake?"

"I can ask you the same question" she whispered and he took a deep breath

"I've got a lot on my mind" he nodded
"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked and then shook her head "Ya know what.. never mind.. you probably don't want anybody bothering you" she began to walk back towards the stairs

"Rebecca" he said and she looked back at him "Come here.." He patted the spot next to him on the sofa

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Colby spoke up.. Rebecca didn't know what he was going to say but she didn't expect him to start telling her a whole story at 3 in the morning.

"Brandon is the oldest" he started and Rebecca looked over at him "Brandon was born about 5 years before me.. His mother was a waitress in a cafe in California that my dad met one night on a business trip" he explained

"If he's the oldest.. why did your dad adopt you? Isn't the whole point to secure the next generation and that was the next generation"

"You would think" he nodded "but My grandfather refused to recognize Brandon because he was born without my father being married to his mother.. so when my mother came to the adoption agency to put me up for adoption.. she met my father.. he was obviously going to adopt me either way but his father put pressure on him to marry my mother to save face with the public and the company"

"Which is why he was so set on you marrying me.." She nodded and he felt her lay against his side and he nodded

"Brandon grew up in California with his mom, my dad would send him money every month.. like child support but as Brandon got older he noticed the wealth my father had and he grew angrier when he realized he wasn't even getting a fraction of that money and he was a biological son.. I wasn't and I was getting everything, I was getting all of the money, the recognition, the best of everything while he was being pushed under the rug and treated like he never existed"

"That's sad" Rebecca said in a whisper

"I don't blame Brandon for being angry with my father for one second" he shook his head "but he took it a step further and moved out here to Iowa.. he moved here to confront my father and he did.. my dad didn't take to kindly to it and got a restraining order on him after he'd stalked the whole family but he really took to trying to ruin my life.. anytime I got anything he was right there to try and ruin it.. he believes if he can't be happy than I sure as hell shouldn't be able to" he stated "He went to jail after violating the restraining order a couple of months ago and he had been quiet so we just thought he was still in jail..obviously not.. he was plotting"

"I don't understand how he knew I was pregnant" she shook her head

"I don't think he was intentionally trying to harm the baby" he said "I think he was more so trying to hurt you"

"Why though?" She questioned as she looked up at him with her head on his chest and he stared at her for a moment

"Because he saw me falling for you" he nodded and she leaned up slightly to kiss him

A few hours later..

The light from the sun was starting to peek through the curtains in the living room.

It was 8AM and it was time for breakfast to start being prepared.

Maria walked down the stairs with Kent following closely behind her and the two came to a stop.

"Do we wake them?" Maria questioned as she looked up at Kent

Rebecca was laying tucked into Colby's side, his head was on top of hers as her face was safely tucked away in his neck.. his arms were holding tightly to her to keep her in place.

"Let them sleep" Kent said with a small smile "the kid hasn't slept that peacefully in years"