39.

Rebecca looked out the car's passenger side window as it drove down the small rocky path that led to the small cottage that sat just off the shore. She looked back in the backseat where her son was fast asleep. For the first time in hours, she had finally got him to sleep on the drive.

When they got off the private plane, a black car was waiting for them with a driver ready to take them somewhere. She wasn't sure where she was going.. all she knew was she was in Ireland, in a tiny little village that didn't have many people.. she could tell that because there were no houses around on the drive down the winding path.

"There is a key under the doormat Mrs.Lopez" the driver stated. "I will bring your bags in.. would you like me to get your son out?" He asked as he put the car in park, and Rebecca shook her head

"Thanks, William," Rebecca nodded, "but if he wakes up in a stranger's arms, he's not going to be too happy."

"Understood," the man nodded. "I will just bring your bags in"

Rebecca carefully got CJ out of the backseat as William grabbed the bags. She found the key that sure enough was under the doormat on the porch. She unlocked the door and opened it to see a fully furnished home.

William placed the bags down on the living room floor as Rebecca carefully placed a sleeping CJ on the couch. She wasn't going to risk putting him in a room that he didn't know.

"Is there anything else you need?" William asked from his place next to the door, and Rebecca looked back at him with a shake of her head. "Very well," he nodded. "If you need anything, my contact information is on the refrigerator," he said

"Thank you" Rebecca nodded.

She watched the middle-aged man shut the door behind him as he left them. She quickly locked the door behind him before leaning against it.

Her eyes landed on an envelope lying on the counter. She moved to it and saw her name in her husband's handwriting.

She opened it as she moved to sit next to her sleeping son on the couch.

Rebecca,

If you are reading this, it means one of two things. You are either trying to create a life without me because something has happened, or you are in danger, and I've sent you away.

Whichever situation it is, know that you are safe.

This cottage is the safe house we had talked about; I refused to tell you where it was because I didn't want to chance anyone figuring out where you are.. that would defeat the purpose of a safe house now, wouldn't it?

This place is fully furnished, you have everything you could need. You have groceries in the refrigerator, and I know what you're thinking. How could you possibly have groceries already? You just got here. Well, my inquisitive wife, the second you stepped foot on the private plane to come here, I initiated the plan. Multiple people were alerted and put in place to make sure this is as easy on you as possible. You will find every one's number's on the list of phone numbers on the refrigerator with what they are used for.. whatever your problems are, find the correct phone number and call them.

Speaking of calling people, I know they took your phone from you when you got to the airfield, it's so you won't be able to be tracked by anyone. You will find a new one in the drawer of the nightstand in the master bedroom.

You will also find a credit and debit card with it. It is fully functional and connected to an account. Use it to get whatever you need. There is also a savings account for you and for whatever children we have at the time, but do not give them access to it until they turn 21.

I want you to know you are safe, you are taken care of, and you were and are the best thing to ever happen to me.

I love you.

Forever yours,

Colby

Rebecca wiped the tears from her cheeks as she placed the paper on the coffee table. She took a deep breath and composed herself before standing up from the couch to look at the rest of the home.

She turned left first and found a small room with toys; this would be CJ's room. She moved down the right side of the hallway now and found a small bathroom on one side of the hall, a linen closet on the opposite side. She moved further down and found yet another room, but this one had a crib, a changing table, and a rocking chair.. this would be the baby's room.

She found the master bedroom at the end of the hallway, the bed sat against the wall in the middle of the room, a dresser was against the far wall, and the tv was hung on the wall in front of the bed.

She found the nightstand, opened the drawer, and found the debit and credit cards.

Next to it was the phone, she quickly switched it on and looked at its contents.

There were none.

She went to the contacts and found only one contact in them. She didn't recognize the name or the number. Curiosity got the best of her as she clicked on the number, and it began to ring.

It rang once, twice, three times before it was picked up on the other end of the line.

"Are you safe?" She heard his voice, and it was music to her ears, it made her instantly relax

"We're safe," she said in a whisper.