☆*✿THIRTY-NINE (39)❀*★

♪♪Into the fire feeling higher than the truth 

I can feel the heat but I'm not burning

Fear and desire feed the tired, hungry tooth

Feels like I'm falling, yeah. ♪♪

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ [Falling] - [Haim]

══════ ✿❁︾❁✿ ══════

Nervousness had its claw in Esmé and it had snipped off her rational thinking. 

It had to be the only reason why she became the victim of piercing silent stares from the company she had in her room.

Not moving from her frozen position on her bed, Esmé's eyes flickered from the fierce gaze Petra's smoky grey eyes had on her to Hermione's and back. Though Hermione's eyes pierced through Esmé, it stood no chance against Petra as she leaned in, in such an uncomfortable position with her eyes popped wide, strained on Esmé and a delighted grin that caused Archie, who laid beside her, snare at Petra.

Archie barked, breaking into the silence.

"Yes! I totally agree with Archie!" Esmé said, running her hands through his fur. "This is getting ridiculous. Say something."

"You should say something," Hermione retorted with a raised eyebrow. "After all, that's all we've been waiting for."

Hermione and Petra, being in the same room together with her knowing what she knew, made her uneasy, but Petra's eyes on her fixed her solely on the present.

"What is it you want me to say, exactly?"

Petra scoffed, and her nose crinkled. "You're joking. You called me first thing this morning to tell me 'I'm going on a date with Kian today.' and then CUT THE CALL. There's no way you can't tell what we expect you to say right now."

Esmé groaned, throwing her head back as Petra repeated her exact words. She shuddered at the scene playing in her mind. Having hardly slept, nerves had taken over by the early hours of the morning and she couldn't stop herself from picking up her phone to call Petra to share her news.

Unfortunately, she had only shared just that piece of information.

"Maybe that was unfair..."

"Did you say maybe?" Hermione gaped.

"Did I?"

Petra's gaze sharpened and tore through Esmé instantly and Archie turned to her with a sharp one of his. 

The tension thickened up at Esmé's reluctance. A part of her wanted to keep it all to herself, something to cherish, just for her but she also knew after her spontaneous phone call, she couldn't keep all the details to herself. She raised her hands up in the air.

"Fine! I apologize, alright. I was just happy, and I thought I'd share my happiness with you, you know?" She smiled at the end, but Petra's gaze only intensified. "Not helping. Okay. What exactly do you want me to do?" she added, exasperated.

"All I ask is very simple, Esmé my Esmé. Satisfy my curiosity. You just need to tell me what in Heaven's name happened, then you're free to go."

Esmé chuckled, knowing much how the entire thing must have disturbed Petra, just by trying to figure out what happened. "Sure, it's simple and all, but I need to prepare for said date Petra, my Petra. Besides, I don't kiss and tell," she added with a wink that turned Petra's grin into a frown.