☆*✿FOUR (4)❀*★

♪♪ One is a lonely number

It kind of makes you wonder

How starting back at zero can feel so nice

But it just feels right ♪♪

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ [Nothing like starting over] - [Hunter Haye]

══════ ✿❁︾❁✿ ══════

Esmé Black. Petra had successfully named the patient that.

Kian walked into the room the next morning to find her fast asleep. The nurses' who had night shifts, had notified him she hadn't slept until the early hours of the morning.

As he stepped by her bedside silently and saw the tablet in her hands, he knew exactly what she had been up to.

The moment Petra informed him she had given the patient... Esmé a tablet, he realized it was a bad idea. Although Petra failed to mention that she had connected the tablet to the hospital Wi-Fi, he didn't put it past her.

He removed the tablet out of Esmé's hands carefully. He didn't want to wake her up.

He turned on the tablet to check her browser search history to confirm his suspicion. And he did. He scrolled through the complete browsing history. He shook his head as he read everything she searched for.

She had searched for any mission person in the past five years, any case that could even remotely have been like hers. She searched and searched, changed words and phrases at some points. She left no stone unturned.

She is smart.

He'd give her that, but she was endangering herself.

Petra had done a search herself after the first day that she knew Esmé didn't remember who she was and found nothing. So he didn't have to open the last closed tab on the browser to know that Esmé met the same end.

A light cough focused his attention away from the tablet to Esmé, who was waking up.

Esmé raised her hands up to rub her eyes. She wanted to adjust to the light that shined brightly into her eyes. After two seconds, she opened them fully and took in the room.

Her eyes swept through the room and stopped short as they noticed Kian. His obsidian coloured eyes were fixed on her with a narrowed look. Although the look was intimidating, it fit his oval-shaped face, with his square jaw tightened too. His brown sugar hair was combed neatly to the back, he looked handsome.

Esmé stopped taking details of his face instantly when her eyes fixed on the tablet he was holding. Her eyes sprang back up to his, and she finally understood why he narrowed his eyes at her.

She closed her eyes and groaned at being caught. She had totally forgotten about that. She opened them again, ready to hear anything he had to say, whatever it was. She had her reasons, and she was ready to explain them.

Esmé watched in shock, at the moment he dropped the tablet by the bedside table, saying nothing. Although his mouth wasn't moving, his face said it all. There was a tightness in his expression as he went about doing the check-ups' he had to quietly.

The silence was deafening. She felt she had to explain herself. It wasn't like she wasn't grateful for the friendly way he and Petra were treating her, she just wanted to be sure. Before she opted to start a new life, could there be someone out there waiting for her?

"Kian, I..." she mumbled but stopped at his withdrawal from checking her.

Kian stopped short the moment she called his name like that. He redrew, that was always his first instinct as his mind flooded with memories he had shut out for a while. It didn't help that she had called his name with her low-pitched voice smoothly, and she called it while he was doing his checkup.