Chapter 7: Nerd

It had been a long flight and although Needy had enjoyed seeing her family again, she’d missed Jen more than she’d anticipated. She was tired and her muscles were sore from sitting down for so long. She hated flying. But she was glad to be back. Needy’s shoulders slumped as she rubbed her weary eyes, shying away from the harsh lighting of the airport as she stumbled back to the terminal.

Jennifer was there waiting for her. She’d been looking forward to this day for what felt like forever. She didn’t realize how much she’d miss Needy until she was gone. She wished she’d gone with her the moment she’d left.

Needy couldn’t help but break out into a grin when she saw Jen standing there waiting for her, bouncing with excitement. Her grin widened as she saw the sign she was holding. It was pink with purple glittery writing, emblazoned with the huge word ‘Nerd’. She rolled her eyes, but she loved it when she did things like that. It was such a Jennifer thing to do and she loved her being unapologetically Jennifer.

She rushed towards her, wrapping her in a warm hug as she reached Jen. “Well, you got the first two letters right at least.” She giggled, kissing her passionately.
“I think I got it just about perfect actually.” She laughed, kissing her back enthusiastically.
“Really? It looks like a glitter monster ejaculated all over the sign.” She snickered, looking at the sign again.
“Well, I might’ve had a little thing on the side with the glitter monster while you were gone.” She joked with a giggle, taking her hand to walk out with her.
“I hope he cleaned up after himself at least.” Needy laughed, rolling her eyes at her.

They walked quietly to the car, a happy, buzzing energy between them. As they got in, Jen looked over at Needy, noticing how tired and disheveled she looked. “You know, I could’ve probably gotten you there quicker.”
“Oh, so you can run faster than a plane now?” She chuckled, getting in with her.
“Maybe. I’ve never really tried.”
“Well, even if you could, it would cost you energy and I won’t be the cause of another ‘animal attack’ just because I’m not the biggest fan of planes.” She chuckled as Jennifer started driving them home.
“Why not? It might be fun to move again.” She joked with a happy grin. Needy just ignored that, looking out at the beauty of the city in the dark of the night. It looked rather beautiful like this.

As they hit a red light, Jen found herself looking over at Needy, an absent grin tugging at the corners of her lips. Her beautiful blue eyes looked out at the sleeping city, the raw power of the churning sea hidden in the depths of those haunting orbs, protected behind panes of glass that coincidentally allowed her to see. Her golden hair was tousled and messy. It looked like a lion’s mane. Power and beauty combined in one. Yet, her features were soft and sleepy. She looked so adorable when she was like this. Actually, she looked adorable all the time in Jennifer’s eyes.

Feeling Jen’s eyes, Needy turned to catch her staring, but she didn’t care. She loved it when she couldn’t take her eyes off her. “Shake your head, babe, your eyes are stuck.” She chuckled, blushing a little under her gaze.
“I think I’d rather keep staring at you.” She smiled, leaning in to kiss her slowly. When they broke apart, the light had just turned green and Jen turned her attention back to the road. The rain rolled down the window as they drove home slowly, hitting every red light on their way and stopping to kiss at every single one.