Chapter 9: Feeding

1 am. That’s what Needy’s watch said. She heaved a sigh as she set her pencil down. She rubbed her temples, trying to ignore the pounding headache that was echoing in her mind. Several doors down, there was a loud, thumping bass beat that really wasn’t helping her concentration.

She cast her eyes back down to the page, shutting the noise out as she picked up her pencil again. Just a moment later, the bass beat got louder, blasting through her walls shutting it out. “Oh, for fucks sakes, Jennifer!” She yelled, throwing her pencil against the wall with the fury of a thousand suns. Getting up from her chair, she strode to the door, heading straight for Jen’s dorm.

She didn’t even bother knocking. She just turned the handle, knowing the door would be open. She walked purposefully into the room, glaring at Jen. Until, she realised what she was doing.

Jennifer was crouched over another student, a needle in one hand. The needle was already puncturing the student’s arm and was filled with a thick, crimson liquid. The boy was laid on the floor, either unconscious or dead. Needy wasn’t quite sure. When Jen heard the door open, she looked up, noticing the confusion and fear in her eyes.

“Well, close the door for fucks sakes.” Jen yelled over the booming beat. Needy didn’t know what to do. She just complied, closing the door behind her as she stared at the scene before her. She still didn’t know what the fuck was going on, but she could take a good guess.

Needy’s eyes widened. She felt her heart stop as she thought about something. She rushed towards them, kneeling beside the boy. She pressed her fingers to his neck, feeling for a pulse. Thump... Thump... Thump... came the steady heartbeat beneath her fingers. “Thank god.” She whispered under her breath.
“He’s not dead if that’s what you’re thinking.” Jen laughed as if the mere suggestion that she would kill him was funny. As if she hadn’t done that before.
“Then what the fuck do you think you’re doing?”
“Uh, what does it look like?” she said sarcastically, carefully taking out the needle and depositing the collected blood in a little flask. She then stored the flask into a little mini fridge in her bedroom.

“It looks like you’re syphoning off people’s blood as a snack for later.”
“I always said you were the smart one.” She chuckled, walking back through and easily picking the unconscious boy up into her arms as if it were nothing. “But its not a snack. Remember, I literally can’t eat anything else. I have no choice. Its just a little to keep me going, but that’s tomorrow’s dinner.” At that moment, it hit Needy. This wasn’t the first time she’d done this. She felt her heart drop as she thought about all the boys she must have dragged here just to take some blood. She hit the power button on the speaker, turning off that damned music.

“How many?” She growled, not caring that the boy was still in her arms.
“What?”
“How many boys have you done this to?”
“Its not like I keep count, Needy. I have to eat.” She hated how angry she seemed and it was ridiculous. Its not like she could do anything else.
“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you have to kidnap guys and shove a needle in their skin to get the blood.”
“I didn’t kidnap anyone, Needy. I’m trying to be good. I’m trying so hard to do this the right way for you. I did it the wrong way and we both know how that went.” She felt a pang in her chest at Needy’s words. She really was trying and the fact that she thought even this was wrong hurt her. She didn’t know what else she could do. She was already going with very little to eat.
“Then how are you getting them here?”
“I tell them there’s a party at my place. When they show up, I tell them they must be a bit early and no one else is here yet, but they’ll show up soon. Then, I sneak up behind them and dope them. When they’re passed out, I take some blood in a syringe to stop the bloodlust from taking over. Then, I carry them out to a little further down the hallway. When they wake up, they’ll assume they got so drunk or high they can’t remember anything and they’ll have the needle mark to prove to them that they did drugs the night before.” She explained, running out to dump the boy down the corridor after she’d spoken. A few moments later, she came back. “So do you still think its really immoral and bad of me?”

Needy thought for a few minutes. It wasn’t as bad as she’d first assumed, but there was still something about it that made her uneasy. She still didn’t like it. “Its not as bad as I thought, but you’re still drugging guys and stealing their blood without their permission.” She furrowed her brow, thinking deeply about it. It was a little easier to think now that she wasn’t dealing with a thuping headache at the same time.
“What else do you expect me to do? Ask nicely? You don’t think they’d run off, screaming in hysterics?”
“Don’t be silly. Of course, they would. What I mean is, you have people here for you who know about it and are here to help you with it.”
“The only person that knows is you and I don’t see how you could help with this.”
“Oh, come on. You know how I can help. I’m here for you, babe. And if you need to feed, I’m here for that too.” She smiled, shyly, stepping closer to hug her. Jennifer stepped back, appalled at the suggestion.
“No. I would never let you... I mean I couldn’t... I don’t want to hurt you...”
“You wouldn’t hurt me. Just a little at a time just like you’ve been doing. If you’re so worried about it, then you can even use the syringe like you have been. Just don’t knock me out first.” She chuckled, trying her best to be supportive. She hated that she had to do this just to get by. She hadn’t been back all that long, but she hadn’t realised this would still be something she had to do. If she had, she would have offered much sooner.

It took Jen a few minutes to wrestle with the decision. She knew she couldn’t just keep doing this and if Needy really was willing to, then she didn’t have much choice but to accept, but at the same time, she didn’t want to hurt her like that or put her in such danger. After a few minutes, she nodded resolutely. “Alright. I will, but I’ll do it with the needle so I don’t lose control.”
“Whatever you need, honey.”
“I have the best girlfriend ever.” Jen grinned happily, pulling her into a warm hug.
“I just hope this means you can stop blasting loud music at silly-o-clock in the morning and allow the best girlfriend ever to study in peace.” She giggled, kissing her gently.
“Whatever you need, honey.” She echoed her words.