Chapter 25: The Race

As darkness descended on the world, not all were sleeping. Jennifer and Needy were curled up in each other’s arms, protecting each other from the world around them in a bubble of love. Jennifer’s hand stroked rhythmically through Needy’s hair as her eyes drifted half closed.

“Jen?” Needy murmured quietly, half asleep herself.
“Hm?”
“How fast are you?” Jennifer’s eyes opened at that, looking down at her with a raised eyebrow.
“In what context?”
“You know, like running.”
“Oh, I don’t know. Pretty fast.”

Needy looked up at her with a little smirk. “Bet I’m faster.” Jennifer giggled at that. She was so cute when she looked so determined and smug. She was ridiculously cute anyway actually, but it always helped.
“Oh, really? How much do you bet?”
“Um, like 10 dollars?” Jennifer chuckled at that, kissing her cheek happily.
“Make it 20 and I’m in.”
“Wait, now?”
“Why not? No one’s around, its  the dead of night. Plus, its dark, so no one will see us anyway.” Needy thought about it for a moment, but she grinned up at her happily, kissing her quickly before getting up.
“Alright, I’m in.”

Jennifer got up too and they both changed into more suitable running clothes. When they had, they both walked out into the dark of the night.

“First to our old school wins.” Jennifer set out the rules for them with a smirk.
“Fine. No flying allowed, though.”
“Fine.”
“Ready… Set… Go!” Needy counted them in and they were off running. In a blur of legs, they sprinted off into the streets. Two silent streaks raced through the empty streets of Devil’s Kettle. Their lungs burned and their legs screamed in complaint, but they pushed on with determination. The wind whipped past them, trying to hold them back, but they didn’t listen, pushing on anyway. The few people who were out at that late hour barely noticed anything. Just a big gust of wind when they whizzed past them.

Eventually, they both wound up at their old high school. Jennifer arrived just a millisecond before Needy. They turned to each other, both grinning giddily.

“And you said you were faster.” Jen giggled, kissing her softly. “Cough it up.”
“Not so fast. I don’t have it on me. How about double or nothing on who gets back to the hotel faster?”
“You’re on.” Jen smirked toothily at her before running off, getting a head start.
“Hey! No fair. That’s cheating!” Needy yelled, but sprinted off after her anyway.

They spent most of the night chasing each other around the town and neither of them ended up paying the bet, mostly because they were having too much fun and forgot about the initial bet.