Chapter 18: The Past

OTP- Chest
It had only been a week or so since Jennifer had seemingly come back from the dead. Needy had been doing her best to let her relax back into normal life. But she couldn’t help but feel a little guilty for keeping some things from her.

She was walking back from class and could feel it weighing down on her soul. Pulling her clothing off her shoulder, she decided to tell her when she got back. She took a moment to stare at her bare shoulder, reminded of that night. For a moment, she felt herself being pulled back to that moment, but she shook it off. She couldn’t let herself get dragged back there. Not now. Not after how hard she’d worked. Instead, she took a deep breath and walked back to her dorm.

When she got back, Jennifer was waiting for her. She hadn’t started classes yet, so she was just spending time in her dorm while she waited to enrol properly. “I was wondering when you were gonna get back.” She grinned, getting up to wrap her in a warm hug when she got through the door.
“I wasn’t gone all that long.” She chuckled, but kissed her gently, glad of the comforting embrace. Needy dropped her bag and went to sit with her on the sofa. She bit her lip nervously as she cuddled up with Jen.

After a few moments, she decided it wasn’t right to put it off any longer. “Jen... I have something I need to get off my chest...” She muttered, her voice wavering with nervousness.
“Is it your shirt? I hope its your shirt, please.” Jennifer grinned, crossing her fingers. Needy blushed a little, pushing her playfully.
“Jen. This is serious.”
“Fine, what is it then?” She asked, looking at her seriously now.

Needy took a deep breath before starting to tell her. “I’m sure you’ve noticed some differences in me since you got back. I’m not wearing glasses anymore, I’m much more confident, and I’ve had a glow up.” She chuckled.
“And you’re modest too.” Jen giggled, but she had noticed the subtle differences. Though, she had to admit, it was more than just a glow up. She was almost unrecognisable. But she was still her Needy, so she didn’t care.
“I’m just stating facts. Anyway, there’s a reason for all that. You remember the night that you... That you died...”
“How could I forget?” Jen muttered, an involuntary shiver running down her back at the thought of it.
“Well, you remember you bit me?” She asked, pulling away from her just a little and pulling down her shirt to reveal the bare skin of her shoulder. It was scarred with teeth marks. The skin had healed over by now, but there were still the stark white scar marks left marking the otherwise perfect, porcelain skin.

Jennifer’s face dropped when she saw it. Her heart sank to the pit of her stomach, causing a wave of nausea to roll through her. She hated thinking that she’d hurt her that much that years later, she still had scars. She’d never meant for that to happen and it killed her to know that she had.  “Needy... I’m sorry. I never thought that it would hurt you that bad.”
“Its okay. I kinda killed you, so I guess we’re even.” She shrugged nonchalantly. She’s had a lot of time to get over it and she wasn’t bothered by the thought any longer. “Anyway, it turns out that if a demon bites you, some of the power can seep into you. So, um, hang on.” She said, pulling her close again. A few seconds later, they felt a rush of air as they were lifted up into the air as if by some strange force. Jen’s eyes widened as she looked at Needy, a grin spreading across her face.
“That... wasn’t me this time.” She just stared at her for a moment before pulling her in for a kiss. “That is so cool.” She grinned giddily.
“I know right.”
“So, does this mean you have to eat people too?”
“No, I don’t have to feed because I’m not actually possessed. I just get some of the cool powers without the drawbacks.”
“Cool.” She grinned at her happily, glad she was sharing this with her. She was still upset that she’d hurt her that badly, but she was very happy with these powers she seemed to have.
“It also allowed me to escape the jail and move here with a new identity. You know, cos I don’t look much like I used to.”
“Huh. I guess that makes sense. Does that mean I’ll need a new identity too?”
“Probably not, since no one knows you here. We’ll probably have to change some of your paperwork so no one associates you with Devil’s Kettle, but that should be enough.” She replied, slowly lowering them back down to the sofa.
“So, did anything else interesting happen while I was, you know, dead?”
“I got charged for yours and Chip’s murder. Plead insanity. Ended up in a prison ward for the insane. Kicked the shit out of a bunch of the staff. Ended up in solitary, then escaped. Killed that shitty band that sacrificed you, then ran away to here. I faked some documents, took on a different identity and enrolled in college. Then you showed up.” She filled her in, not minding talking about it. She’d gotten over it all by now.
“Shit. Sounds awful. But its okay, I’m here to brighten your life again now.” She grinned, leaning down to kiss her gently.
“Thanks, babe. But, lets leave the past in the past.”
“Sure thing.” She smiled at her, just cuddling quietly with her. They stayed like that for most of the night before Jennifer coaxed Needy out into the night to show her some of her other powers she’d gained since her time in Devil’s Kettle.