Chapter 16: Hunger

Jennifer paced up and down her dorm room floor. She was in her bedroom, waiting for Needy. Once again, she checked her mini fridge. Empty. Needy had been very busy this week and she hadn’t had much opportunity to see her, let alone get any blood from her. She was getting desperate and if she didn’t get there soon, she didn’t know what she’d do. It had been a long time since she’d had to resort to drinking anyone else’s blood, but if Needy didn’t get there soon, then she might have to go back to her old habits. She didn’t want to. But when she got so hungry, she never had a choice. She couldn’t do anything but give into her primal instincts when she got like that.

A few minutes later, Needy burst in and headed straight for Jen’s room, breathless. She’d run all the way from class, trying to get here as quickly as she could. Her cheeks were flushed a bright pink as she gasped for breath when she entered the bedroom.
“I’m here… I’m here for you…” She wheezed, taking a seat on the bed to catch her breath.
“Thanks, honey. I wouldn’t have asked if it wasn’t desperate.”
“I know. Its okay. Take what you need.” She smiled, rolling up her sleeve so she could take the blood. Jen nodded, quickly jabbing the needle into her arm and drawing the blood out, salivating as she looked at the thick, scarlet substance. She put it in a blood bag and took a few hearty gulps. Needy cringed. She still hated seeing her drink blood. It was still unnerving, but she knew she didn’t have another choice.

She sealed up the bag and put it back in the fridge when she was finished. “Thank you.” She smiled at Needy as she rolled down her sleeve.
“You’re welcome.” She smiled back. She would’ve kissed her, but she didn’t really wanna taste her own blood on her lips. It wasn’t a taste she was exactly fond of. Jen sat down next to her, looking rather crestfallen. “Something wrong?” Needy asked, looking over at her, concerned.
“Its nothing. Just I wish I didn’t have to do this. I wish I didn’t have to rely on you. I wish I didn’t have to live like this. Its hard. Being so thirsty all the goddamn time. I’m trying really hard, but I don’t know how long I can do this. I just feel so hungry constantly and there’s nothing I can do about it.”
“I know there’s nothing either of us can do about it, but we’re trying our best. If its that bad to be around people with this, then after college, we can move. We can go somewhere away from people and I’ll be the only other one there.”
“I’d like that but for now, its just really hard. And its awful. If you hadn’t come just now, everything we’ve done. Everything we’ve tried to do would’ve been undone.”
“Its okay. I’m here now and it didn’t come to that.”
“No. its not okay. Because it could’ve come to that.”
“But it didn’t.”
“It doesn’t fucking matter, Needy! I could’ve killed again. Its so hard to restrain myself. You have no idea what I’m going through every single fucking day. Its so frustrating! I hate everything! I hate everyone!” She yelled, losing her temper. She hated that she had to be confined to the small amount of energy that blood gave her. She hated that she had to drink it in order to stay alive. She hated that Needy had to be the one to feed her. She hated it all.

Needy just stared at her, shocked at the sudden outburst. She didn’t like when she got like this. Tears welled up in her eyes as she processed her words. Her voice cracked as she spoke. “E-everyone?” Jennifer sighed, wrapping her arms around her. She’d never meant to upset her like that and she hated that she had.
“Everyone but you.” She muttered, kissing her gently. Needy smiled a little, feeling better now she’d clarified that. She kissed her again, snuggling into her.
“I know its hard right now, but it’ll get easier and you only have to wait a few years. And I promise I’ll do whatever I can to help.”
“Thank you. I’m glad you’re here for me, honey.” She smiled a little, glad that she had someone in her corner at least.
“Anything I can do for you now?”
“Just stay here for a while. Like this.” She muttered, cuddling closer with her. Needy just nodded, kissing her gently. They stayed like that for a long while before Needy had to leave.