thirty : an eventful night

A/N : HI IM SOOOOOOO SORRY PLEASE FORGIVE ME I AM ALIVE
————————————————————

In mid September, the twilight beams down on you through the bus windows. It highlights your distorted face caused by maybe just a tad too much to drink. At least you're not the only one.

"DUDE THIS WAS SUCH A GREAT NIGHT!" Genessa cries excitedly at the driver at the front.

Lydia giggles behind you & leans down to whisper in your ear. "How much do you think it would take for them to kiss him?"

You laugh quietly & rest your head on the headrest, turning it to meet Lydia's eyes. "Not much at all, what do you reckon?"

Simultaneously, you both glance over at Genessa, looking life they're having the best time of their life. Dancing to absolute nothing but the faint noise of the wheels on the road & the engine roaring at every green light, they seem totally in their element.

"I'm not sure he'll be too into it."

You snort into your hand loudly, looking up to catch the eyes of the driver. Lydia is absolutely correct. His death glare is hardly hidden by his hat & his black goatee emphasis the unimpressed frown plastered on his face.

Suddenly, he halts to a stop, sending Genessa forward into the front window. You & Lydia rush up to them on the floor, holding their head instinctively as as they furrows their eyes in pain.

Lydia looks up at the driver who takes so care in suppressing his glee. "Don't be such a jerk, you could've really hurt her! Do you not have any human decency to just apologise?! This is absolutely unbelievable..."

As Lydia yells at the man, Genessa lets out an exaggerated cackle of happiness, silencing her & everyone else on the bus. It surprised you so much you starting joining in, falling into the floor hysterically laughing.

Even your sober friend lets go of her anger, creating an echo with her joy. The old woman at the front stares distastefully at the three immature youths collapsing over each other while the teenager in baggy clothes with headphones on side-eyes with confusion.

Before you have the chance to stop yourself, another stomp on the brakes leading you all banging heads on the window, making it Genessa's second blow. The bus jerks to a halt & a cool breeze enters the vehicle as the doors creak open next to you.

The three of you look up at the driver with puppy eyes, relishing your fate. With pride, he points aggressively to the street. "Out." He commands sternly.

Glancing at each other, you reluctantly nod & cling on to each other while standing up. You steady yourself as the others pull down their skirt & dress. With heads held high, you & your friends link arms & squish through the gap with stifled laughs. As your feet meet the concrete, you turn around & wave the bus off. When the driver quickly looks in his rear-view mirror, you turn your polite wave into holding only your middle finger up.

"Good riddance." You hear Lydia mutter, hands on her hips in a power pose. Genessa once again giggles & you try to hold back the laughter but it inevitably beats you.

"Alright you two," Genessa & you turn to face your tall friend with raised eyebrows, "oh don't look at me like that. As the most sober one here-"

"Yeah cause you're too young to have fun."

"-i think we need to take care of our dear old Genessa." She smirks then nods at you, "Y/N?"

Knowing what she intends, you take one of Genessa's arm & wrap it around your neck as Lydia takes the other. The three of you start walking under the moonlight, laughing about the events of that night.

"Can you believe that bouncer thought I was 15?!"

"Not at all, small one!"

"Who even calls a cocktail 'Sand in the Crack'?"

"I'm never drinking that one again."

"I'm never drinking anything again!"

"Oh my god! That guy hitting on Y/N! He was such a stud."

"The one with about two hundred piercings? Not really my type..."

"Ah yes! Looked & acted nothing like our sweet & innocent Braeden."

"Braeden?!" You stop in your tracks, letting go of Genessa & stepping back.

Genessa stares back at you confused & sobered up due to the walk. "Well, yeah, i guess, we kinda thought you two were endgame-"

"We?" You search for Lydia's eyes as she stares at the ground, reluctant to look at your disheveled reaction. "Lydia? Please..."

She takes a deep breath & looks into your eyes. "You & Braeden just have so much history. Plus, you just naturally care about each other but with you & Jackson-"

"Jackson! I completely forgot to call him!"

"Exactly, Y/N!" Lydia pleads, "He's so possessive & controlling. Every day you have to call him & reassure that there's nothing going on between you & Braeden!"

Your heart beats faster & faster as your voices rise. "For the last time, there is nothing going on between Brae & me. Jackson's just gone through a lot..."

"Oh please, Y/N!" Lydia rolls her eyes furiously, "We all have. Even you forgave Braeden after what happened!"

"But none of us has ever been catfished by a 60 year old man have we?!"

A silence falls upon the group. Only a faint owl in the park next to you can be heard, disturbing the discomfort.

"Hold on..." Genessa softly speaks, breaking the deafening silence, "catfished?!"

Once again they let out a laugh, launching their head back to face the sky. Lydia slowly joins in, giggling along. A soft laugh escapes your mouth as you slap your hands into the palms of your hands.

You suddenly realise the ridiculousness of the situation. How is being catsfished an excuse? Even engaged, you should be able to trust the one you're in a relationship with! However, as the laughter does down, you are left feeling frustrated & confused.

Your mind is foggy, not only from the alcohol, but from the image of Braeden. How simple it would be with him. So much history, yet so much understanding. You know what you have to do.