three : braeden

For the rest of the set you try to focus on your notes & photos although it was hard to concentrate. Familiar melodies overwhelm you while a few lyrics of your own prick at your ears .

Jackson persists at attempting to get you to engage with the crowd around you & continues to persuade you to dance. During an instrumental bridge he turns you to him by your shoulders.

"He hurt you didn't he?" He asks, concerned.

You shake you head immediately. "I just haven't seen them in four years." You stand on your tip toes to answer into his ear.

"Them?" He questions.

You nod a reply & he shouts over the music, "Close your eyes. The only important thing is the music, try focusing on it."

You agree & close your eyes, leaning into his chest. He wraps his arms around you & pulls you close.

Swaying to the guitar riff, he guides your body to the music & you feel calm for the first time tonight. Your heart slows to a normal pace but is replaced by a pit of flutters in your stomach.

You pull away after a while and look up at Jackson, his bright eyes glistening with the blue & purple lights from the stage, his soft skin reflecting the bright beams.He looks down at you with a grin.

"It's going to be alright."

You smile, almost believing him. That was until six words blare through the microphones & you instantly recognise them. Six words he used to say to you. Six words he reassured & built your confidence with. Six words that prompted you to leave him & follow your dreams.

Six words you sometimes wish he could take back.

They repeat between two of your old friends yet your eyes are glued to the one in front of you. His mouth so close to the microphone as though he was kissing it, his voice echoing through the speakers & your ears accepting it as though you never stopped hearing it.

They stop to give one last guitar solo. His hand vibrating against the instrument & his eyes travel from the pick to the crowd to you.

Your eyes lock & the the music briefly hesitates. The world stops. There was no denying it was him. That dark shaggy hair falls perfectly over those piercing chestnut eyes. Those soft pink lips hang with disbelief as you gaze up at him, trying to search his mind for a reaction.

His friend's voice encourages his mouth to continue singing. As the lyrics fall from his lips, it's almost as though he's speaking to you again, repeating every syllable to remind you of how special you are.

The music halts & the lights fall, leaving the venue in complete darkness. As the crowd cheers & applauses, a salty tear slowly creeps down your cheek. The figures disappear from in front of you & you are left.

Jackson side hugs you, "That was great wasn't it? Damn, that last song was sick!"

"I need to go." You push him away & start to walk away when a hand grabs you by the wrist.

You stop & turn to tell Jackson to stop but are met with a kind yet firm face. "Y/N Y/L/N?"

You nod in reply. "Please come with me."

You follow the security guard to the backstage door, preparing yourself to see the boy you tried to forget but couldn't. You can feel your heart race increasing rapidly as you enter & start to approach three friends in a circle talking.

The two facing you look up & smile warmly at you, greeting you with their eyes. Noticing them get distracted, he turns around & his face relaxes when he sees you. A wave of contempt & desperation wash over you both as you share another moment taking in one another.

"Y/N?"

"Braeden."