seven : jackson

"So, Y/N," Cole asks you, "What did you think of our music?"

You cover your mouth as your finish your mouthful, "I enjoyed it. I also recognised a few lyrics." You wink back.

"Yeah well they were too good to replace." Braeden casually explains, picking up the ketchup.

"Wait, you were definitely surprised to see us," Dylan states, taking a bite of one of his fries, "So what were you doing there?"

Realising the mystery & interested in the answer, Cole & Braeden stop eating & focus on you.

Swallowing your drink and placing the glass back down, you begin to explain, "After college i was looking for photography & writing opportunities that preferably paid. I started working for Apollo Magazine who discovers & writes about new artists like yourselves."

"Sooo you're gonna write an article about us?" Cole questions.

"You got that right." You smile devilishly back at their worried expressions.

They look at each other & dive for your bag, searching for the note pad as you laugh at them. "They're positive notes, you don't need to worry."

"Did you take any photos?" Braeden wonders, "Should i even ask that question?"

You smile at him & suddenly remember how much he knew you, maybe he still does.

"Nope." You exaggerate the 'pe' as you reach for your camera.

You sit so the screen is clear to all of them & scroll through the photos. You look at them to see impressed expressions plastered on their faces.

"Woah, go back!" Dylan points.

You scroll back to a blue & red photo, showing the whole of the stage & the musicians invested in the music. Dylan & Braeden are highlighted perfectly, their colourful shirts complimenting each other naturally.

"That's so cool, can we post it?" Cole asks, "We'll obviously give you credit."

"Of course you can." You smile back at him. "I had to travel through one hundred screaming fans to get the angle so I'm glad it was worth it."

As they laugh, Braeden takes your hand & looks deeply into your eyes.

"I- we really appreciate, Y/N."

You take a moment to compose yourself. You haven't felt this way in five years & you think you've missed it until you remind yourself that it always ends in pain.

With that thought, you excuse yourself & walk quickly to the toilets, passing the staff room on the way. Looking at yourself in the mirror, you realise how tired you look. Dark bags hang under your red eyes & your hair is greasy with sweat along with drinks that spilled over you.

After splashing water on your face, you sigh into the sink. You drop your head in your palms, muffling your frustrated cries. You haven't seen him in four years & he is suddenly back in your life causing you to repress your feelings once again. You brush your fingers through your hair & hurry out of the toilets.

Not looking where you're going, you turn a corner & run into someone. You brush past th as you mumble an apology.

"Y/N?"

You turn on your heel to face Jackson. "Hi! What are you doing here?"

Motioning to his red apron he replies, "I work here." Sensing your confused look & need for future explanation, he continues. "Not long after you left, i got a call from my boss asking me to cover for someone. So here i am."

He moves his head towards your friends at the booth, "That's them then?"

You follows his eyes. "Yep. They like the photos i took."

"That's really cool. Maybe you could show me them over dinner some time?"

You look back at Jackson beaming down at you. "Yeah, I'd like that."

What you don't notice is Braeden watching curiously from afar.